2015/10/18: Playstation: Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft, Killing Zone

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/10/18: Playstation: Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft, Killing Zone

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 18th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Posted reviews for two OLD PS1 fighters. Comments welcome.

Tron

Re: 2015/10/18: Playstation: Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft, Killing Zone

Postby Tron » October 18th, 2015, 8:58 pm

I think the iron & blood review does a better job of explaining the gameplay then the killing zone review. I felt like I could "get" what the gameplay was like in iron & blood, not so much for killing zone.

I felt like the killing zone review was you needing to spit out a lot of tidbits on the game & then you realized how all that added up to a lot of words so you just skipped out on reviewing the actual gameplay.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 19th, 2015, 4:24 pm

A small correction is that Killing Zone offers seven fighters, not eight, as the review states.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 19th, 2015, 4:32 pm

I sort of agree that the Killing Zone review actually sounds a more positive than an F, mainly because it focuses on the atmosphere and ambience you thought were good, without focusing enough on the gameplay you thought was terrible.

Killing Zone and Iron & Blood are both pretty good looking and sounding games, that have major gameplay and control issues; I suppose you could sum them up as style over substance.

I've personally near never been able to perform a special attack in Killing Zone that involves more than one directional input, the throw attack is extremely overpowered and moving around the arena is extremely poor. The physics are also pretty bizarre with characters either being lead weights or balloons, with nothing in between.

Iron & Blood suffers from the characters flailing wildly around arenas that aren't big enough for such; many attacks have characters uncontrollable throw themselves half way across the arena in overly long attacks, that they keep running into the arena walls and damaging themselves. I also find the game extremely unbalanced. The torches life bars are very difficult to read.

Both games have very poor visual feedback, Killing Zone due to poor animation; for the most extreme example, one might note there no is animation for a throw connecting so it's like 'what' when the camera suddenly changes to a cinematic angle to show a throw. While in Iron & Blood I find you often attack an opponent near the edge of the arena and end up unexpectedly taking damage yourself.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 21st, 2015, 7:18 am

I remember playing I&B on that underground demo disc. I dont remember what I thought about it, but I remember playing it. Actually, I think the majority of my PS1 games were demo disks lol. I only had a handful of games, but my mom had no problem getting me a $3 magazine with a demo disk on it every month.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » August 19th, 2021, 12:52 pm

I guess this is a good a place as any:

PS1 3d graphic (i.e is a fighter '3d' just because it uses polygons or does it have to have some sort of 3d movement?) fighters seem under-represented on this site compared to 2d fighters despite the PS1 arguably being their heyday in popularity and quantity and most of the ones reviewed seem to have either very high or very low review scores (A-B, D-F) with only a few in the middle (C).

Battle arena toshinden: C+
Battle arena toshinden 2: D-
Battle arena toshinden 3: F
Bloody roar: C+
Bloody roar 2: B
Cardinal syn: D
Dead or alive: B+
Iron & blood: F
Jurassic park warpath: D-
Killing zone: F
Mortal kombat 4: B-
Rival schools: B+