Longest game you've ever played?

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate

Longest game you've ever played?

Postby ptdebate » November 1st, 2015, 5:01 pm

Game length can be caused by many factors--difficulty, number of levels, or sheer volume of narrative content like cutscenes and dialogue.

What's the longest game you've ever played? I don't mean how many hours total you put into the game, but just the minimum amount of time it took you to get from start to finish in the game's campaign or story mode.

For me, Xenogears was the longest by far at ~60 hours. And I was in a hurry to finish it.

Game length is a hotly debated topic these days. Some gamers feel like they're not getting value out of their purchase if the total runtime of the single-player content doesn't reach a certain minimum. I personally view quality as being more important than quantity. What are your feelings on game length?

Rev

Re: Longest game you've ever played?

Postby Rev » November 1st, 2015, 6:00 pm

I don't think I have ever played through a game with a longer than 40 hour campaign and that was only 40 hours because I sought out everything in the game before o even fought the final boss. I usually lose interest before then. I guess I would say ffvii because of that. I like replaying games I beat so I have games I've played hundreds of hours but very few with a campaign over 20.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » November 2nd, 2015, 2:15 am

The longest console game I've ever played was Dragon Warrior VII for PS1. The main story alone is 100+ hours.

It's been a while since I played it but I remember having to play something like 20 hours just to get to the first battle (quite an exciting moment). It's such an epic journey and I really enjoyed it.

I've never played DW 8 but from what I've read it clocks in around 80+ hours so it's rather lengthy as well.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 2nd, 2015, 9:12 am

For me it was Oblivion at something like 120 hours. And that doesn't take into account the Shivering Isles expansion. That's just the core game.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » November 2nd, 2015, 2:38 pm

Grand Theft Autos past San Andreas felt pretty long, but that's because there are a lot of really hard and poorly designed objectives. Fallout New Vegas + DLC is nearly impossible to complete in one run, because there are unique mechanics in each episodic content, barely similar to one another outside of combat mechanics. Halo 5: Guardians isn't exactly a short campaign, it isn't all in the hours but what you have to do in between the beginning and end. I'd say seven hours is a par time to complete it, not an average. It took about 8-9 for me.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 3rd, 2015, 3:22 am

Longest game I ever played (and actually finished) is probably Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

Den

Postby Den » November 3rd, 2015, 10:01 am

It took me almost 80 hours to 100% Super Mario 3D World. I'm guessing at least 20 hours of that was finishing the final level with all five characters. That was rough.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 5th, 2015, 5:45 am

I think the last one I played that felt like it went on forever was MGS4. Though most of it was cinematics, whenever I thought the game was over it would begin another level.

Return to “Video Games General”