2015/11/1: Sega CD: 3 Ninjas Kick Back, Flink

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/11/1: Sega CD: 3 Ninjas Kick Back, Flink

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 1st, 2015, 4:55 pm

Posted a pair of Sega CD reviews for Flink and 3 Ninja Kick Back. Your comments are welcome.

Rev

Re: 2015/11/1: Sega CD: 3 Ninjas Kick Back, Flink

Postby Rev » November 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm

Is there much of a difference between the genesis and Sega CD versions of flink? I've been meaning to pick it up but now I'm thinking it's probably not worth it. The 3 ninja game seems like a lot of fun. I've never heard of it before but I'll keep an eye out.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » November 2nd, 2015, 1:58 am

I have the Misadventures of Flink on Mega Drive and I believe the critic was a bit harsh with an F grade. I have to disagree with most of this review. I'll agree the entire spell concept is ridiculous and the controls are a bit odd at times. However once I was aquanted with them I had no trouble with the gameplay. It's also a visual masterpiece with silky smooth animation. The gameplay is about par with other games of this genre. I like how it has an over world map ala Super Mario World. I wish there was a run button instead of building up momentum to get running but at least he will eventually run unlike many games of this ilk. Music is above average as well. To be fair the beautiful graphics are to be a little bit more expected on cd then on my cart version.

Graphics - A

Gameplay - C

Sound - B

Overall - B

Rev

Postby Rev » November 2nd, 2015, 2:04 am

Wallyworld wrote:I have the Misadventures of Flink on Mega Drive and I believe the critic was a bit harsh with an F grade. I have to disagree with most of this review. I'll agree the entire spell concept is ridiculous and the controls are a bit odd at times. However once I was aquanted with them I had no trouble with the gameplay. It's also a visual masterpiece with silky smooth animation. The gameplay is about par with other games of this genre. I like how it has an over world map ala Super Mario World. I wish there was a run button instead of building up momentum to get running but at least he will eventually run unlike many games of this ilk. Music is above average as well. To be fair the beautiful graphics are to be a little bit more expected on cd then on my cart version.

Graphics - A

Gameplay - C

Sound - B

Overall - B

Thanks, I watched some video reviews of the game and they were all quite different then the critic's. I think I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt any try it out. You're right that the graphics are awesome for a 16 bit game. It looks a lot better than a majority of SNES games.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 3rd, 2015, 5:49 pm

Wow, I certainly wouldn't have guessed that 3 Ninjas Kick Back would get the C+ and Flink the F. I know some people really detest Flink, so I guess the VGC is one of them. I haven't played it much, but I have played 3NKB a bit and didn't have much luck with it.

Very glad to see more Sega CD reviews -- I hope the mini-trend continues!

NX17

Postby NX17 » November 4th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Wow I didn't even know a 3 Ninjas game existed. Honestly, I never even knew what they were until for some odd reason my 7 year old nephew picked up on them, I guess some syndicated movie rerun, then wanted the DVDs. At least I got him into Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters so not just watching some random poorly rated 20 plus year old kids series of movies. Sega CD seems like a nice fit for the game if you've ever actually watched one of these movies. :P

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 19th, 2016, 1:25 am

I wasn't registered when this review was posted, but I ran into it again and had to comment. It's clueless! What an insult to a fine, fine game. Yeah, it's slow, and the main character's a dweeb, but you missed the hugely important mechanic of throwing enemies (which is why a single jump only knocks them out; it's so you can pick them up), completely ignored the level design's complexity and variety, and trashed the spell mechanic for no reason at all (spells need exactly three ingredients, not a "laundry list", and the only one that requires being in a specific place is the spell to make a plant grow... which needs you to stand on the plant). The weirdest complaint was the one about "instant death" - you collect magic from fallen enemies in the flask at the top of the screen, which is a health bar!

Pardon my French, but how the hell were you even playing this game? Did you play it blind for 30 seconds and give up forever after your first death?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 19th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Stalvern that was kind of a rude reply. Everyone has an opinion. Opinions are not facts. They are subjective and everyone has one.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 20th, 2016, 1:55 am

The review is factually wrong. It says things about the game that are provably false, which is baffling coming from such an otherwise reliable source.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 20th, 2016, 3:11 am

Think I might have to try Flink out it is indeed a very fine looking game and one that went under my radar at the time.

Return to “Review Feedback”