Rodea: The Sky Soldier

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
eneuman96

Rodea: The Sky Soldier

Postby eneuman96 » November 7th, 2015, 7:43 pm

This game by Yuji Naka of Sonic fame has become somewhat infamous for being in development hell for several years. It was in development for the original Wii, and interestingly enough, this version of the game is actually a bonus disc included with the Wii U version if you preorder it. There's also a 3DS version, but I don't think that has the same preorder bonus.

From what I can gather, the Wii version uses motion controls as opposed to the traditional controls of the Wii U version and plays fairly differently in other ways as well. It seems like the 3DS and Wii U versions are getting rather mixed reviews, while reviewers who have played the Wii one say they prefer that particular version's motion controls and overall gameplay.

The game comes to the US on the 10th of this month, so I'm guessing it's not too late to preorder the Wii U version and get the supposedly superior Wii version (which I suspect will become a collector's item some years from now) with it.

Rev

Re: Rodea: The Sky Soldier

Postby Rev » November 7th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Yeah, I preordered this about 5 months ago when I first heard about it. I've been waiting for it for months now. I hope it turns out to be a fairly decent game as I wasn't too sure about it. The Japanese version got pretty good reviews although I've seen no reviews for it. I'm thinking it'll probably become fairly rare as well but who knows. I think my Wii will be happy for a new game.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 11th, 2015, 8:25 am

My copy shipped yesterday. I pre-ordered it from Amazon as well. Has anyone tried it?

Rev

Postby Rev » November 11th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Will you let me know if the shrink wrap for your copy is very flimsy? I picked mine up yesterday from gamestop and the shrink wrap was very loose. I know the game was never opened because it still has the bonus game sticker on the package. I'm curious if all the games are like that or if it is only mine. I haven't played the game yet, it'll probably be in my backlog for a while but I'll let you know when I eventually get to it. From what I've heard, the Wii disc is actually the better game than the Wii U version.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 11th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Rev wrote:Will you let me know if the shrink wrap for your copy is very flimsy? I picked mine up yesterday from gamestop and the shrink wrap was very loose. I know the game was never opened because it still has the bonus game sticker on the package. I'm curious if all the games are like that or if it is only mine. I haven't played the game yet, it'll probably be in my backlog for a while but I'll let you know when I eventually get to it. From what I've heard, the Wii disc is actually the better game than the Wii U version.

Yeah kind of. It was easy to open. The cool thing is you get two instruction booklets.

I will say the prologue on the Wii u version is terrible. After that it gets much better. I might try to see if it can support the Wii controller vs the Wii u controller as it's still wonky to control.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 15th, 2015, 5:03 am

As a fan of NiGHTS and Sonic I was really looking forward to this game. But the reviews are pretty bad... Can someone tell if it's worth playing? (I can only play it on 3DS since I do not own a Wii U)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 15th, 2015, 5:48 pm

I don't have a 3DS but I can tell you the Wii U version is a pass. I still haven't tried the Wii version yet as that arguably is the much better game based on everything I've read.

I'm guessing the 3DS version controls as well as the Wii U version. It's not terrible but not great either. I think it will take some time to get used to. Whether I actually take the time to get used to it is the question. I'm pretty sure I'm moving on to something else.

If anything it's a novelty game as I'm guessing it's not going to sell well.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 15th, 2015, 7:25 pm

I haven't seen a single review for the game (3DS or Wii U) on most of the big gaming sites. From what I've read, the Wii U version is a port of the 3DS version, while the Wii version is the best of the games (the game was originally built using the Wii Mote/Nunchuck). The problem is, the only way to get the Wii version is to buy the first printing of the Wii U version. I have only seen 1 copy in the wild other than the one I preordered. It seems obvious that the game isn't going to sell well and will probably get cut from production quickly.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 16th, 2015, 8:16 am

Rev wrote:I haven't seen a single review for the game (3DS or Wii U) on most of the big gaming sites. From what I've read, the Wii U version is a port of the 3DS version, while the Wii version is the best of the games (the game was originally built using the Wii Mote/Nunchuck). The problem is, the only way to get the Wii version is to buy the first printing of the Wii U version. I have only seen 1 copy in the wild other than the one I preordered. It seems obvious that the game isn't going to sell well and will probably get cut from production quickly.

I saw they had some at Target last night. Their Wii U section was actually stocked. I was kind of surprised actually.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 16th, 2015, 8:56 pm

I've been having extremely mixed feelings about this game. After playing a couple levels of the Wii U version, I decided to try the Wii version, which does indeed have better controls overall, but this game has a laundry list of flaws in general.

-The camera is a pain in the ass on both versions. Turning it around using the Wii pointer instead of the Game Pad's right stick is arguably a drawback the Wii version has over the Wii U one.

-Flying into a line of Gravitons (those little yellow things that look like Star Bits from Super Mario Galaxy) theoretically makes you zip through them (a la the Light Dash from the 3D Sonic games), but it only works if you fly into it at a certain angle, and the game is irritatingly finicky about this, so half the time I wind up collecting them individually.

-The dash attack doesn't always respond, and I feel like it's intentional, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why I suddenly can't do it while right in the middle of fighting enemies.

-I'm stuck on the third level right now due to there being a massive, seemingly impassable electrical wall in one part of the level. I followed what appear to be symbols telling you where to go (not that the game ever tells you what they are; at first I thought they were Sonic-esque dash panels due to them looking strikingly similar), but apparently they serve some other purpose entirely. That, or I somehow missed a hell of a lot of information along the way.

I really do want to like this game and get my money's worth, but it fights me every step of the way. I'll still keep it just in case it becomes rare and valuable at some point, but I doubt I'll be playing it much.

Return to “Modern Gaming”