Bonjour

General and high profile video game topics.
Roperious1

Bonjour

Postby Roperious1 » October 7th, 2006, 10:11 am

Hello

I've been comming to this site for about a year now, checking reviews and slowly building my collection of sega related material up. I really like the atmosphere on the site in particular on the fourms.

Anyhow, i'm a devoted sega fan and I finally purchased a saturn;

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300033663635&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:CA:11

I hope this is a good starter set??

I am also having some problems with my 32x, anyone able to help out with this?

Atarifever1

Bonjour

Postby Atarifever1 » October 7th, 2006, 10:30 am

Hey, from the link it appears you're a fellow Canuk.  Welcome to the boards. 

I don't have a clue if that's a good deal on a Saturn set like that; it doesn't look like a bad deal.  It's less than what you'd pay for it here in Newfoundland in the wild.

Roperious1

Bonjour

Postby Roperious1 » October 7th, 2006, 10:49 am

Haha, you guys are half an hour behind us over here on good ol' PEI

Go Canada

sega saturn x

Bonjour

Postby sega saturn x » October 7th, 2006, 11:01 am

You have quite a few dogs in there, the only quality titles in there are astal and Mr.Bones.  But fret not, for I have compiled a decent although rather short buyers guide for just this sort of thing.   http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/dmrozek/vpost?id=1239183

Roperious1

Bonjour

Postby Roperious1 » October 7th, 2006, 12:57 pm

I've got my genesis and 32x in pieces in front of me...

help?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bonjour

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 7th, 2006, 12:59 pm

[QUOTE=Roperious]I've got my genesis and 32x in pieces in front of me...

help?[/QUOTE]

Dude,
You've come to the right place, but you have got to be VERY SPECIFIC about what you need help on.
Dave

namegoeshere1

Bonjour

Postby namegoeshere1 » October 7th, 2006, 1:01 pm

For the 32X, clean both its' and the genesis's cartridge slot. An easy tool to use is a modified toothbrush.
Cut the head off and glue or melt it back on at a 90 degree angle.

You want to go from
___|||
to
----E

Or skip all that and scrub the cartridge slot with the toothbrush as is, slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol.

I invented this after stealing the idea from a beer commercial and modifying it slightly, to clean the cartridge slot in my NES without having to take the cover off every time.

Roperious1

Bonjour

Postby Roperious1 » October 7th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Alright...here we go

What I have in front of me is the usual Genesis 2 with your standard Issue 32x (purchased this month from ebay, looks to be in mint condition, it was sealed in plastic when i opened the original box, the ad said it was brand new as well)
I have all the cables and of course the memory addon for the expansion port on the Genesis (to substitue for the Sega CD).

My Problem: The Damn thing won't play 32x games

What it WILL do: It will usually start Genesis games up, sometimes you can play them, sometimes they freeze, and sometimes they just become broken images etc.

What I've GOT the thing to do: By holding down and pushing the carts I can sometimes see the spinning sega logo at the start of Star Wars Arcade but it always freezes, In Cosmic carnage i have gotten the Logo to fly in *sound bell*, fly out then the starting music will play, (i have got this about 6 or 7 times), at this point no video will play and the music eventually freezes. ONE TIME this happened and i Saw a whole bunch of stars start to head towards me after the music started but the whole thing just froze.

My Insistance: The Damn thing isn't broken

What i've done thus far: I have tried hooking up the 32x with two different Genesis units, using rf, and composite (RCA). I have used the metal shield plates, and also tried without.
I've tried swaping the cables around and ensuring that they are tightened and whatnot, and of course, I am using the correct power adapters for their respective units.
Also, I tried it with a genesis 2, sega cd combo to see if that helped but to no avail.
I then took things to the next level, upon further research I have cleaned the contacts on the bottom of the 32x and both games I have purchased for it (Cosmic Carnage and Star Wars Arcade) following the guide that is posted on this website. No luck

NEXT, I took apart my 32x followed the instructions from our friends over at sega-cult, by unplugging and reconnecting those blasted white wires (from BOTH ends). Nothing.

THEN, I took the WHOLE thing apart, i mean stripped the sucker down to the boards and checked it for broken parts, loose wires, etc, but the things looks to be MINT.

- The only thing suggested to me by the Sega-16 forums was this:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2-loose-cart.htm

but i fail to see how this will help if my Genesis works FINE on its own and the 32x will start up gen games fine too.

*gasp for air*

At the moment:

I have my sega apart re: the link above, my 32x apart re: http://www.sonic-cult.org/articles/32x/

I've also been in contact with Old School Gamer, about pricing repairs and whatnot...

Specific Enough?

ActRaiser1

Bonjour

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 7th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Nice pick up on the Saturn.  At least you've got some games to play that are more fun than your 32x.

So either A) it's a bad 32x, B) cables are bad/hooked up incorrectly, or C) your games are fried.

In any case, you're not missing much.  Enjoy your Saturn.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bonjour

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 7th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Do you have the North American version of the 32X (yellow stripes on box)?

I think a different model was released in Europe, where they have different television standards.

Return to “Video Games General”