Case For/Against Buying a Wii U?

General and high profile video game topics.
JustRobert

Case For/Against Buying a Wii U?

Postby JustRobert » January 6th, 2016, 12:57 pm

For nearly six years, I have had a Wii, and while I have enjoyed the system, I am wondering if I should buy a Wii U after all this time. I'm aware that while the sales for the system haven't been exactly great, I hear it is a decent console (For the record, my interest in the Wii U is better than the Xbox One/PS4, which don't seem as good with regards to price and/or connectivity, though the Xbox 360 doesn't seem as striking) But I'm trying to figure out if it is worth buying, with regards to price, games (I'm not picky when it comes to games), and the level of excitement.

I'm wondering if it seems like the best time to do this, or if I should wait a month or so. What are your thoughts?

Shapur

Re: Case For/Against Buying a Wii U?

Postby Shapur » January 6th, 2016, 4:10 pm

You waited this long, might as well wait for the NX. When they start clearing stock on these, Ebay prices should come a bit down then.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 6th, 2016, 6:26 pm

I would wait a bit and start scoping out retailers until you see some sort of price drop or clearance event on Wii U's. With the little info we have on the NX right now, waiting for that may not be the best option (if it doesn't use physical media it could receive a lot of negative attention). The Wii U has a small, good library of games. Nearly all the good games are from Nintendo, most are platformers, and there are enough games to get where it could be worth the money (depending on your tastes). If you like physical media then this is probably a good one to pick up sooner than later, since the Wii U is very likely (IMO) to be one of the most expensive Nintendo consoles to collect for in a few years time. Very few of the games (that are good) have dropped in price, many are out of print already, and almost all of the good games are still around full price retail. I have a feeling this will be one of the most expensive Nintendo consoles to collect for in the coming years so picking it up sooner, than later, might be advised.

Here are the better games to own for the console-
1. Bayonetta 2- I think this is out of print already, best action game on the console.
2. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker- easy Puzzle game, starring Toad.
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze- Platformer
4. Game & Wario- Arguable whether this is good or not but at least it is something different for the console and uses the controller well.
5. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate- Another good action/RPG game for the console although that's not saying much.
6. NES Remix Pack- Probably a better done Game & Wario.
7. New Super Luigi U- Out of Print, if you want the physical disc it's gone up. Also comes with NSMBU.
8. New Super Mario Bros. U- Platformer
9. Nintendo Land- it's okay
10. Pikmin 3- Puzzle/strategy game. Out of print.
11. Rayman Legends- platformer. best version.
12. Scribblenauts- Okay puzzle games.
13. Super Mario 3D World- 3D platformer.
14. Super Mario Maker- Creation/platformer
15. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U- fighting
16. Wii Sports Club- out of print, wii sports hd
17. Wonderful 101, The- Out of Print (I think), not sure what type of game it is.
18. Xenoblade Chronicles X- Open World RPG.
19. Yoshi's Woolly World- platformer
20. Splatoon- 3rd person Action/run and gun.

A lot of these have either held their value or are more expensive than retail, now. If you like platformers than this is a good console, otherwise you have slim pickings of other genres.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » January 6th, 2016, 7:22 pm

I'd wait for the NX, and see if that's even worth it, but the Wii U is collectable just not by any recognizable degree.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 7th, 2016, 2:28 am

I have a PS4, PS3, Nvidia Shield, Ouya, and Wii U. The Wii U gets, by far, the most play because of the great games it has and the backwards compatibility with the Wii. This makes its library stellar. My favorite system.

JustRobert

Postby JustRobert » January 7th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Thanks for the responses. I was debating on buying it in the summer (can't imagine getting too much time to play during my college semester), but a question did pop up in mind:

If I see a Wii U bundled with a game (like Splatoon, which I have seen at walmart), would that be a good purchase instead of just buying the Wii U on its own (or even buying it somewhere like gamestop)?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 7th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Yeah, definitely buy it with a game versus without. Even if it's a digital only game that comes pre-installed, that's one less game you'll have to buy.

From what I can tell the price for the console will be the same. Frankly, to close out inventory and make way for the NX I'd expect a few bundles with more games.

Tron

Postby Tron » January 7th, 2016, 8:16 pm

I agree w/ Rev's assessment.

Here's a bit more to consider:

1. Typically nintendo consoles can be found cheap once there's an upgrade. The Wii U may be different due to the controller. Finding one used without scratches may be challenging. I don't own a Wii U so I can't say how durable they are, but tablets don't tend to be very durable. On the other hand Nintendo consoles tend to be very durable.

2. Nintendo consoles tend to be cheap, but Nintendo games are not. Like Rev said they may continue to go up. With digital distribution growing this may be the last Nintendo console with physical games.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 7th, 2016, 8:46 pm

I plan on grabbing one in this summer. I haven't bought a new system in over a decade, but I may have the house to myself a lot this summer, and seeing as I'm a Nintendo guy, the wii U would be the best choice. I didn't really enjoy the GameCube because of the focus on 3D games and I could never get into the Wii because of the gimmicky controls. Plus, i could only find a couple of games I was interested in.

The Wii U has a some solid platformers, and I may even check out Splatoon. I'm sure I'll grab Mario Kart. Plus, Yoshis Island is my favorite game of all time, and after years of disappointing sequels, Wooly World looks pretty dang good. Looking forward to that and DK Tropical Freeze more than anything.

Return to “Video Games General”