question about the nes

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
imderfnz

question about the nes

Postby imderfnz » January 31st, 2016, 5:32 pm

should i get the nes even if its not the most reliable console so as long as i clean the cartridges with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol before i play the nes it will work good ?

Rev

Re: question about the nes

Postby Rev » January 31st, 2016, 7:17 pm

That entirely depends on the machine you buy. Usually, yes, that should be sufficient, however they tend to break down over time. The TopLoader (NES2) is more reliable however unless you get it modded, it doesn't have composite cables. NES games have also been increasing in price so a lot of the better games are usually at least $20 for a loose cartridge, with many $50+ or even $100 (usually not the main games people think of for NES though).

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » January 31st, 2016, 10:36 pm

I bought a toploader for $100 and I love it. I haven't even gotten it modded yet. But you get used to the crappy RF and jailbars, or at least I did. It's arguably part of the console's quirky charm.

I love having every cartridge work every time as long as they're clean. No having to open the console and doing a bunch of crap with the 72 pin connector. No games freezing on me halfway through. It just works.

imderfnz

Postby imderfnz » February 1st, 2016, 1:38 am

and if i get a new 72 pin connector will i have to worry about the red light blinking ever again as long as i clean the game before playing them in the nes ?

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » February 1st, 2016, 6:48 am

I agree - if you're looking to get back into the NES and can afford to pay a little more the top-loader is the way to go. No hassles with getting cartridges to play and the dogbone controller that comes with it is leaps and bounds more comfortable than the original NES controller. You'd be ready to play it right out of the box!

The fact that the top-loader is only RF is a negative but one gets used to it. It is crazy that Nintendo didn't manufacture these models with composite.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 1st, 2016, 10:51 am

imderfnz wrote:and if i get a new 72 pin connector will i have to worry about the red light blinking ever again as long as i clean the game before playing them in the nes ?

I've heard that it's better to clean and restore the original 72 pin connector because the newer ones are cheaply manufactured and not as good. There are Youtube guides on what to do. You also want to disable the 10NES lockout chip which is the source of the blinking.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 1st, 2016, 10:58 am

If you get a top loader games don't always play on the first try but it is a lot more reliable. Definitely the way to go if you can pay about 100 for it.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 1st, 2016, 12:02 pm

Rev wrote:If you get a top loader games don't always play on the first try but it is a lot more reliable. Definitely the way to go if you can pay about 100 for it.

I find that games work on the first try when they're clean. You still need to clean dirty games either with q-tips and Windex/rubbing alcohol or with a cleaning kit. Never blow into them!

imderfnz

Postby imderfnz » February 1st, 2016, 1:50 pm

yeah it costs too much for me to get the top loader nes and it cant play the game genie in the top loader one and what about the clone nes console the mascot edition one that plays the nes and snes games does it work good ?

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » February 1st, 2016, 2:32 pm

The toploader IMO is a pretty lame console. I'm actually going to be writing about it this week over on Happy Katana. The jailbars and RF only, as well as the washed out look of games is really distracting. And the dog-bone controller isn't as comfortable. Not to mention, unless you can afford an ultra-rare adapter, the game genie won't work! Only thing I could see being worthwhile would be to AV mod the bastard and stuff it into a retron 1 case.

Return to “Classic Gaming”