2016/2/13: Playstation 4: NBA 2K16

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/2/13: Playstation 4: NBA 2K16

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2016, 11:50 am

Here's my yearly NBA 2K review. Disappointing! This is what happens when one company owns an entire sport - no incentive to improve.

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2016/2/13: Playstation 4: NBA 2K16

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 13th, 2016, 12:23 pm

They should call that game Basket bore. It just looks like what they have done for every other sports game. Lets put in some more reality. When all you want to do is shoot some hoops.
Thanks for the heads up.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 13th, 2016, 2:16 pm

This is totally outside my gaming habits, so I poked my head over to IGN to see more opinions. Its these games and other like Fallout 4 that are the face of the industry. Wow. The IGN review was glowing, and the comments were fiery in retort and support - everything from calling the reviewer a shill to all cap fbomb rants against dissenters.

I agree with BlastoidAli, don't people just want a fun game about shooting hoops? I guess thats the problem. Some do, and some want a virtual NBA reality game. Is this what happens to any game trying to be all things to all people, and it just can't do that realistically.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2016, 6:23 pm

I think you guys hit on something. NBA 2K16 has become incredibly complicated. Ironically, there's no manual either!
It would be nice for casual fans to be able to enjoy a basketball game too.
NBA Jam used to fill that niche, but it was a little over the top.
Something simple that still allowed you to be your favorite players would be ideal.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 13th, 2016, 8:33 pm

scotland wrote:This is totally outside my gaming habits, so I poked my head over to IGN to see more opinions. Its these games and other like Fallout 4 that are the face of the industry. Wow. The IGN review was glowing, and the comments were fiery in retort and support - everything from calling the reviewer a shill to all cap fbomb rants against dissenters.

I agree with BlastoidAli, don't people just want a fun game about shooting hoops? I guess thats the problem. Some do, and some want a virtual NBA reality game. Is this what happens to any game trying to be all things to all people, and it just can't do that realistically.

Just to set the record straight--Fallout 4 is really good. I will probably submit my own review soon.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 14th, 2016, 8:59 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think you guys hit on something. NBA 2K16 has become incredibly complicated. Ironically, there's no manual either!
It would be nice for casual fans to be able to enjoy a basketball game too.
NBA Jam used to fill that niche, but it was a little over the top.
Something simple that still allowed you to be your favorite players would be ideal.

I think you have to go all the way back to NBA Live 95 for that.

Tron

Postby Tron » February 16th, 2016, 8:04 am

ptdebate wrote:
scotland wrote:This is totally outside my gaming habits, so I poked my head over to IGN to see more opinions. Its these games and other like Fallout 4 that are the face of the industry. Wow. The IGN review was glowing, and the comments were fiery in retort and support - everything from calling the reviewer a shill to all cap fbomb rants against dissenters.

Just to set the record straight--Fallout 4 is really good. I will probably submit my own review soon.

I look forward to Fallout 4 review as I've played many hours on it.

On NBA 2k16 I've had a different experience then the Critic. I never bothered to even look at the Spike Lee My Player mode. I also never put the game online, not even to update rosters. I went straight to My League, after modifying the Draft classes of course. I've experienced minimal problems with the game loading straight up. A couple times the game reminds me that they want me to go online. I simply press circle an extra time or two to back out. For me it's been very hassle free. Just remember this equation: no internet and no spike lee = fun gaming.

For me the game has improved as players don't "skate" on the court near as much. I think the problem of having too many animations makes the game feel too scripted and not enough about control. The Critic pointed out how it's hard on defense to stay in front of the dribbler yet it's hard for you on offense to get around the defender. Changing the sliders to increase your quickness and dribbling helps. Not sure if lowering computers offensive awareness, dribbling and quickness has helped me much in staying in front of offensive players. Maybe I need to modify it even more. The passing has improved so now I don't have to worry as much about interceptions. Modifying the sliders really does help though and I suggest the Critic to try it.

Return to “Review Feedback”