Sonic Drift (Game Gear)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

Sonic Drift (Game Gear)

Postby Retrology » February 28th, 2016, 8:54 pm

You may have noticed in one of the previous forums I said Sonic Drift was one of my least favorite 2D Sonic games, but also that I haven't played it in a while.

Well recently, I just revisited it, as well as Sonic Drift 2, and boy was I wrong. This game is actually good! One thing I never took into account when playing this the first time was using the drift button to make tight turns. This made competing a lot easier, and the game more fun.

The graphics are nice, and I like some of the tunes and audio. Powerups don't seem all that special, but overall Sonic Drift (and its sequel) is an incredibly underrated game.

Thoughts?

Shapur

Re: Sonic Drift (Game Gear)

Postby Shapur » February 28th, 2016, 11:10 pm

I played Sonic Drift 2 a lot back in the day and always liked it. You have to navigate with the map to have a chance, but I always thought it was a pretty good game.

Retrology

Re: Sonic Drift (Game Gear)

Postby Retrology » February 29th, 2016, 1:29 am

Shapur wrote:I played Sonic Drift 2 a lot back in the day and always liked it. You have to navigate with the map to have a chance, but I always thought it was a pretty good game.

I think Drift 2 is a little better than the first game. Drift 1 is nice but it's entirely too easy, even on the highest difficulty settings. Drift 2 plays a little slower, but has more variety, a lot more tracks (3 sets of them as opposed to 1 in the original), more challenge, and more racers. It even has "Point A to Point B" tracks this time.

I enjoy it, but my one major criticism is the rubberband AI. It can be a bit frustrating at times doing a near flawless run and witnessing your "rivals" overlap you in the photo finish. Still, all things considered, Sega did a very good job with both games, and they are much better than what people say.

Return to “Now Playing”