Favorite Authors?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Favorite Authors?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 19th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Probably the only thing I like more than video games are books. Who are your favorite authors? Mine's Brandon Sanderson. He writes high fantasy like Lord of the Rings, but it's a lot faster paced and doesn't get bogged down on world building exposition. I actually try to model my own writing after his style.

Luigi & Peach

Re: Favorite Authors?

Postby Luigi & Peach » February 24th, 2016, 5:16 pm

I love reading as well. About 10 years ago I decided to start rereading series and books I'd read when I was younger. To draw out the series I would alternate every book I read between a different series. Occasionally I'd throw in a stand alone book for a change in pace. I happen to like most books written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. They're known mostly for their Dragonlance series which for the most part are pretty good ( some of the resolutions, especially in their more recent works are kind of disappointing), but they did a series back in the 80s or 90s called the Death Gate Cycle which was good as well and built on an interesting premise.

I'm still working on the Nightside Series by Simon R Green. It follows a private eye around the "Nightside", a gritty alternative supernatural side of London. Has kind of a Twilight zone noir-ish feel to it.

There are a lot more books and authors I could mention, but I'll start out with these.

I happen to be kind of fond of world building personally, but that's just me. :D

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 1st, 2016, 12:06 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:I happen to like most books written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

The only Weiss and Hickman book I've read was Bones of the Dragon, and I didn't really care for it. Skylan was NOT a very likeable character. People tell me The Deathgate Cycle is a lot better, though, so I'd like to read those someday.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » March 14th, 2016, 5:51 pm

I've also enjoyed a lot of Michael Crichton books. I like the pseudo science of them. I read Jurassic Park the first of many times in the 6th grade. Have read The Lost World several times. Hated the movie. The only comparison to the book was the title and the fact that there were dinosaurs. Read Sphere a lot too. I understand there's a movie, but have never seen it. Congo was a good read. The movie adaption of it wasn't horrible either. I've also read The Great Train Robbery which was more historic fiction than science fiction, but still a very good book. I've always meant to read Andromeda Strain but never got around to it. Timeline is his only book I've read where I felt like I wasted my time.

On a side note, The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ( of Sherlock Holmes fame) is also a good read.

Return to “Other Media”