Where's The Fair Use?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
eneuman96

Where's The Fair Use?

Postby eneuman96 » February 18th, 2016, 6:35 pm

I'm not sure if any of you watch Nostalgia Critic, but he recently posted a video about how flawed YouTube's copyright policies are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFAMOtwaI

The testimonies from him and a couple other reviewers are pretty shocking and do a good job of bringing this issue to light. It's definitely worth a watch. Notably, several other popular YouTubers are attempting to spread the word.

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Where's The Fair Use?

Postby Hardcore Sadism » February 26th, 2016, 4:41 pm

After the Fine Brother's debacle (which I won't derail the thread about), I certainly am behind this spread of vocal openness about an increasingly out of control issue. I am a legacy YouTube watcher, and so are many my age, so finding out an 8+ year old video you want to watch again being muted or otherwise kept in display but inaccessible, is a display of corporate hubris I won't stand for. YouTube could have been an educational platform, but now everything is so legally debatable your breathing pattern shouldn't be too similar to anyone else's or otherwise you can be cited for infringement.

Also YouTube Red is the biggest most obvious scam it's even coercion to a degree. Why force your YouTube Red channels to monetize their content when they have another job outside of YouTube?

SigSauerLover

Re: Where's The Fair Use?

Postby SigSauerLover » March 21st, 2016, 3:26 pm

I am absolutely in favor of NOT taking down content just because of it being used in a video. A review that shows clips, or a few bits of music, I am fine with. However, is it SUCH A BIG DEAL if you don't make any money off of it? People complain about companies taking money from people. Like if Viacom takes monitization from Mr. Enters videos. But then, if it happens with 2 private individuals (like the debacle between GradeAUnderA and TyroneMagnus) everybody is all for taking money off of others.

Is it really a tragedy if you don't make money from an online video? If you want to make it full time, start a freakin' Patreon page! That's how Classic Game Room survived!

Return to “Other Media”