Biggest Video Game Accomplishment

General and high profile video game topics.
jon

Biggest Video Game Accomplishment

Postby jon » March 22nd, 2016, 4:34 pm

A couple years ago, I had this crazy idea of trying to beat Super Mario Bros. without dying once. I told myself, for it to really mean something, I wouldn't use any warps or shortcuts. After an agonizing few months I had all but given up hope. Then one day, I did it, beating all 64 levels without dying. I still remember a few close calls I had, once where I lost control of Mario and mistimed a jump and bounced off a wall back to safety, narrowly missing a lava pit.

velcrozombie

Re: Biggest Video Game Accomplishment

Postby velcrozombie » March 23rd, 2016, 10:51 am

Back in 2009 I beat both Contra and Super C in one evening over about an hour-and-a-half. I did use continues, though; they were both pretty sloppy runs. I have beaten both the original Castlevania and Golden Axe without using a continue, although I died a couple of times over the course of each game. The holy grail that I was going for was beating Castlevania 3 without using a continue - and I nearly did it! I died on the final form of Dracula while he was at about half health - it was pretty heartbreaking. I did try to 100% Super Mario Bros. without using a continue (the trick where you press Start + A at the "Game Over" screen) once but I only got to about World 6-3 or so; however, that was without devoting any practice to it or without playing the game for years, so I could probably at least beat the game on three lives if I put in the effort.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 23rd, 2016, 12:05 pm

Fairly recently actually. I beat Master System Shinobi without losing a life (I found out that if you lose a single life you won't have the correct power ups at the correct times, so a one life run is pretty much essential to completing the game).

Also did Master System Shadow Dancer only losing 1 life, very tough game but very short so easy to memorise with persistence.

My next goal is to Platinum trophy the Metal Gear games got 2,3 and 5 so PeaceWalker and 4 to go !

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 24th, 2016, 2:28 am

I played through Mario World back in college without getting a mushroom.

But as impressive as that sounds I still feel like my greatest video game accomplishment is the beating the turbo tunnel in Battletoads.

Also I took out both AT-ATs with a speeder in a round of Battlefront the other night and while I've nearly repeated the feat twice so don't feel like it is that hard, I still felt a greater sense of accomplishment doing that than I have ever felt in an online game. It was like catching the golden snitch and winning the game for my team in an instant.

PitfallHarry

Postby PitfallHarry » March 26th, 2016, 8:01 pm

My biggest accomplishment of all time was getting the 1001% achievement in the binding of isaac afterbirth, beating all the bosses with that damned keeper was so painful but getting so far in the game is really really satisfying.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » March 26th, 2016, 8:30 pm

I got the Mr. Perfect achievement in Mega Man 10.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 26th, 2016, 11:06 pm

I beat NES "Ninja Gaiden" sword-only, absolutely no items, and without dying. But I've only done it once.

Here I came close, but I needed to grab one health refill before the final bosses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvtBOHDwKig

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 26th, 2016, 11:14 pm

ESauce wrote:But as impressive as that sounds I still feel like my greatest video game accomplishment is the beating the turbo tunnel in Battletoads.

And later levels such as "Volkmire's Inferno" and "Terra Tubes" are like 10 times harder than the turbo tunnel.

"Terra Tubes" was where I finally gave up. That stage is ridiculous.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 27th, 2016, 4:51 pm

mbd36 wrote:
ESauce wrote:But as impressive as that sounds I still feel like my greatest video game accomplishment is the beating the turbo tunnel in Battletoads.

And later levels such as "Volkmire's Inferno" and "Terra Tubes" are like 10 times harder than the turbo tunnel.

"Terra Tubes" was where I finally gave up. That stage is ridiculous.

Yeah, I played through the whole game on the Rare Replay collection with the ability to rewind when you make a mistake. It was interesting to see the later levels, but really a shame how overboard they went with the difficulty. Even with the rewind ability it was tough to beat. Here was a game with more variety and polish than 90% of NES games, and they blew it by making it practically unplayable past the third level due to the difficulty. Battletoads is infamous for its difficulty and an internet meme, but it could have been famous for its brilliance if they hadn't gone so overboard.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 28th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Me and my friend once played through and finished Final Fantasy VII in one marathon session (about 27 hours or so). We did stop to take some food breaks and sleep, but we essentially just smashed through it in a day. I can't imagine doing anything like that today lol.

Return to “Video Games General”