2016/4/3: NES: Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, Tecmo NBA Basketball, Mighty Bomb Jack

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/4/3: NES: Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, Tecmo NBA Basketball, Mighty Bomb Jack

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2016, 10:21 am

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this new set of NES reviews.

Teddybear

Re: 2016/4/3: NES: Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, Tecmo NBA Basketball, Mighty Bomb Jack

Postby Teddybear » April 3rd, 2016, 1:23 pm

I am a little disappointed that you didn't grade Tecmo NBA higher than a C-. The review omitted a couple of relevant items in my opinion: the home team's logo is displayed on the floor near center court and the ability to view actual player statistics for the game at anytime during the contest. In addition to the team logo, the border around the floor will change color to match the home team's color scheme. With the stats, shooting, 3-point, fouls and total points scored are all displayed. These are nice features that enhance the game.

I know that gameplay opinions are subjective but I think the passing/stealing/player control mechanism was very good for this game, once you fully got the hang of it. The CPU wasn't the best but playing this game head-to-head with a worthy pal is where it shines.

I'd take it any day over Double Dribble (which you rated a whole grade higher as a B-). But without a doubt you are 100% correct about the manual for this game - it is a nice look-back into a fantastic era of the NBA.

zetax

Re: 2016/4/3: NES: Jordan vs. Bird: One on One, Tecmo NBA Basketball, Mighty Bomb Jack

Postby zetax » April 3rd, 2016, 5:23 pm

Is this version of One on One different than the EA version in the review that appears just above it? They look exactly the same.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2016, 6:58 pm

They are the same. Milton Bradley published the EA game.

jon

Postby jon » April 3rd, 2016, 9:50 pm

I was looking forward to the Tecmo review, it's unfortunate that it doesn't appear to be that good. I however am impressed that the game seems to have a lot of interesting features which fellow members have pointed out. I've always wondered if there was a basketball game as good as Double Dribble on the NES.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 3rd, 2016, 10:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:They are the same. Milton Bradley published the EA game.

Wait, this is confusing. If they're the same, how are there two reviews and how are the reviews so different? (The new review is much more positive.)

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 4th, 2016, 11:23 am

Nice! Three games I played alot back in my youth.

I remember renting and playing the crap out of Jordan vs Bird with my neighbor. It was one of our "go to" games to rent when we didn't see anything else that piqued our interest. I remember the dunk contest being sort of convoluted...not sure if that's valid. Still this was a good time waster back in the day...

That same neighbor and I used to play Tecmo NBA Basketball quite a bit. I have pretty fond memories of it. I remember he owned it, but we both played in the same season. He used to call me up and be like...you have to play your game! I haven't played this one in years, so I'm not sure how well it's held up, but I remember thinking it was solid.

I JUST re-acquired Mighty Bomb Jack a few weeks ago. I always had a love/hate relationship with this game. As a kid, when I first played it, I didn't understand the "torture room" penalty. Also, I didn't get that you had to get the lit bomb last in the single screen rooms. The joys of renting NES games without instructions lol. I've gone back and realized that there is a flawed, but incredibly fun game here. It's easily one of the most challenging games in the NES library. It is so simple to play, but almost impossible to master. I think it's probably around a C+. It's sort of a bridge between the classic arcade style games the NES started out with and the more in depth platformers developers eventually started creating. I think it's worth the $5 or so it would cost to add it to your collection. There are certainly MUCH worse games to find in the NES library.

zetax

Postby zetax » April 4th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:They are the same. Milton Bradley published the EA game.

Wait, this is confusing. If they're the same, how are there two reviews and how are the reviews so different? (The new review is much more positive.)

Yes, this. Isn't this a re-review?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Apparently I posted a new review without removing the old one! I'll have to fix that.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 5th, 2016, 7:15 pm

I much prefer Tecmo over Jordan vs Bird.

Return to “Review Feedback”