Batman: The Animated Series

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Batman: The Animated Series

Postby Retrology » April 13th, 2016, 12:48 am

My God, this show is incredible, even nearly 25 years later. As a kid I enjoyed watching the show, but as an adult it appeals to me even more.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

As one of the finest animated shows from the 90s', its dark, sinister plots, fantastic animation qualify, and first class voice acting are faithful to the original comic series while crafting its own style. The "Two Face" two part episode is one of the most gut wrenching I've ever seen in animation.

Oh yeah, and The Joker too.

I can't say enough how well Batman TAS has aged. It's practically timeless, being both entertaining for kids and adults while offering subtle social commentary that holds true today.

Thoughts? Any other fans of the show?

ESauce

Re: Batman: The Animated Series

Postby ESauce » April 13th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Well, super weird to me that you posted this after I went to bed last night since just yesterday I was watching this show for the first time in a couple years, and specifically I was watching the Two Face two part episode. You aren't using my amazon prime account are you? :lol:

Seriously though, yes it holds up. The voice acting is great (I could never choose a favorite Joker but Mark Hamill is always in the conversation) and I agree that two face episode is very well done. The art style is also superb.

One thing that was bothering me is that streaming it on Amazon it was using the intro to The New Batman/Superman Adventures instead of the intro to the Batman animated series. It's not a bad theme, but it's certainly not the Danny Elfman Batman theme that I wanted to hear. Plus, the intro to that show gives me a little anxiety because as kid when the Batman/Superman show aired I was always anxiously waiting to see if the episode would be a Batman episode (yay!) or a Superman episode (yuck. Turn off the tv and go outside).

I've been on a bit of a Batman kick lately. Last week I watched the dark knight returns animated movie on hbo go. It is pretty good but gets a lot darker than the batman animated series (Joker racks up quite the death count). I read the comic book when I was 12 so I can't tell you how well it matches up, but from what little I remembered it seemed to follow it. I guess it left me wanting more though so yesterday I had to get a fix of the animated series.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 13th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Dammit, foiled again. Should've remembered to log out of Amazon Prime.

And yeah, I get the show from iTunes, and it too uses the Batman/Superman theme for some of the episodes, which is strange. It's very well done, but doesn't fit the original show.

I just finished watching "Heart of Ice", which is even more bleak and gut wrenching than Two Face. I'm not going to spoil anything if you haven't seen it, but let's just say you'll have a lot of sympathy for the villain. It also won an Emmy.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 13th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Retrology wrote:Dammit, foiled again. Should've remembered to log out of Amazon Prime.

And yeah, I get the show from iTunes, and it too uses the Batman/Superman theme for some of the episodes, which is strange. It's very well done, but doesn't fit the original show.

I just finished watching "Heart of Ice", which is even more bleak and gut wrenching than Two Face. I'm not going to spoil anything if you haven't seen it, but let's just say you'll have a lot of sympathy for the villain. It also won an Emmy.

Oh you wouldn't spoil anything with that one. I watched it years ago but I still remember it very well. Fantastic episode.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 14th, 2016, 5:31 am

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini made some great cartoons, and gave us a better Mr Freeze, Joker, Two Face, Ventriloquist, and invented Harley Quinn. Tbey gave us a better Hawkwoman and The Question in Justice League Unlimited too. I prefer these Bronze Age inspired animated adventures more than the Dark Age inspired live action movies, for the most part.

Some BAS stories that stick out are Almost Got Im, and the Batman/Harley teamup in Harleyquinade. Somehow Mark Hamill helped made the Joker comical, charming and murderously terrifying again (while not apeing Nicholson).

I am also a big fan of Batman: The Brave and the Bold and the CW's The Flash. Comics as a medium can be anything, but superheroes should always be aslirational, or at least fun.

Return to “Other Media”