Recent Gaming Pick Ups

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven

Recent Gaming Pick Ups

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 15th, 2016, 12:22 pm

I think years back we used to have a thread discussing what our more recent finds and purchases were. I've been bitten by the collecting bug the past few months and playing more games than I have in recent years.

Here is what I've acquired in the past eight weeks or so:

NES
Mighty Bomb Jack
Dig Dug II
3D World Runner
Bump n Jump
Kung Fu
The Krion Conquest
Rad Racer
Sky Kid
Pop-Eye
Boulderdash

Genesis
The Immortal

Wii/Wii U
Rodea The Sky Solider

Xbox
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Spy Hunter

GBA
Gunstar Heroes Advanced
Metroid Zero Mission

I've been getting games for various different systems and having a great time. My purchases have come from local retro gaming stores, ebay, amazon (Rodea), and flea markets.

Anyone else care to share what they've been collecting?

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Recent Gaming Pick Ups

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 11th, 2016, 4:31 pm

I recently picked up Otomedius Excellent for the 360. The standard edition of the game is fluctuating between $5-$7 on Amazon (free Prime Shipping). Snatched it up without thinking twice at that price.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2016, 7:04 pm

JustLikeHeaven,
Where are you making these finds? Online or at game/thrift shops?
VGC

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 14th, 2016, 8:40 pm

N64

Top Gear Overdrive (fun but frustrating)
Blast Corps (Even if it were $1000 it would be worth every penny. Just that good)
Forsaken 64 (Has some good parts, but suffers from maze like stages imo)
Cruisn' World (Loads of fun in small doses)

Game Gear

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Really think Dave should review this and re-review the Genesis version to compare. Both provide significant replay value and fun.)
Tails' Adventure (I don't like this one at all. Far too slow and really confusing to play.)
Sonic Blast (I actually like this one. Standard Sonic platforming fun)

Genesis

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (The peak of a once fantastic franchise, though the Adventure games on the Dreamcast are in the ballpark.)

Road Rash (Really hate how you have to run back to your bike manually after your crash. Otherwise, this gets the thumbs up)

Outrun (Can't get past the first stage for some reason. Keep running out of time. Can anyone help?)

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 14th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Retrology wrote:Tails' Adventure (I don't like this one at all. Far too slow and really confusing to play.)

Outrun (Can't get past the first stage for some reason. Keep running out of time. Can anyone help?)

I'm not going to say that Tails Adventure is a must play, but I really recommend giving it a good try before giving up on it. I really didn't like it when I started it, but once I picked up a few items I started having more fun. I'm not usually big on games that need a guide but it is good to have one handy for this game; it'll ease some of the frustration.

And I can never get past the first stage of outrun either. I'm awful at that game. I downloaded the 3d classics version on 3ds which lets you tweak the difficulty so I can actually see more of the game.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 14th, 2016, 9:31 pm

I have Outrun and isn't easy. Hint: use the break when you see a sharp turn coming up on the road signs. And use it earlier than you usually would.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 15th, 2016, 12:59 am

ESauce wrote:
Retrology wrote:Tails' Adventure (I don't like this one at all. Far too slow and really confusing to play.)

I'm not going to say that Tails Adventure is a must play, but I really recommend giving it a good try before giving up on it. I really didn't like it when I started it, but once I picked up a few items I started having more fun. I'm not usually big on games that need a guide but it is good to have one handy for this game; it'll ease some of the frustration.

Fair enough. The furthest I've gotten to was past the first level anyway.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 15th, 2016, 1:30 am

Retrology wrote:Outrun (Can't get past the first stage for some reason. Keep running out of time. Can anyone help?)

This is super basic, but are you shifting into high gear? Took me about 10 tries of just failing the first stage to realize that.

Otherwise, the breaking advice is the next thing I can think of.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 15th, 2016, 7:24 pm

I've been collecting Dreamcast games lately. Had a couple of great finds about 3 weeks ago in Skies of Arcadia and Record of Lodoss War. They are both complete, and I only paid $56 bucks for the pair. Price Charting has the pair going for about $127 - I was happy with that deal!

Another store had PS3 & 360 games 50% off, and I picked up Battlefield Hardline, Gran Turismo 6 & Uncharted 3. Haven't played Battlefield or Uncharted yet, but GT6 has seen quite a bit of screen time.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 15th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Just picked up Killer is Dead for the 360. Weird as hell but the graphics are mind blowing.

Return to “Video Games General”