A Qustion for Saturn Devotees

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

A Qustion for Saturn Devotees

Postby matmico399 » April 27th, 2016, 3:42 pm

In a previous thread several peeps were asking what Saturn games are the best, including ones the VGC has not reviewed.

We all had the Saturn at the bottom of our lists of which consoles we played the most over the years.

The reason I think for most of is a lot of the best games are super expensive and it seems not too many people really know that much about the Saturn's library.

My question is what are the best Saturn games that are affordable to the average Joe and of the expensive ones that might be worth the price tag?

NintiesGeezer

Re: A Qustion for Saturn Devotees

Postby NintiesGeezer » April 27th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Tomb Raider is an excellent start, pity few remember this version exists since it was the original original.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 28th, 2016, 3:18 pm

I love the Saturn but it is damn expensive to collect for.

Get an Action Replay cartridge so you can play and buy Japanese games. Reason 1 there are loads of Japanese exclusive titles, Reason 2 the Japanese versions tend to be cheaper - just make sure the game is playable in Japanese.

Much like the Dreamcast and indeed the MegaDrive/Genesis some of the best Saturn games are Arcade ports.

Light Gun Games:
Virtua Cop 1&2
House of the Dead (looks a dog but plays the best in the series for me).

Racers:
Sega Rally - best playing racing game ever
Daytona and Daytona CCE - despite sharing the same source they play differently enough to warrant owning both.
Manx TT - Think Daytona on motorbikes
Sega Touring Car - The critic didn't like this, but change it to easy and play the Saturn mode plenty of fun to be had.

3D Fighters
Virtua Fighter 2 - still sweet looking but deep fighting game.
Fighting Vipers - More light hearted than VF2 and more accessible as a result.
Fighters Megamix - Combination of the above two titles
Last Bronx - Imagine VF2 with weapons, also a little on the tough side.

Super Scalers:
The classic Sega arcade games from yesteryear again some import only.

Out Run
After Burner
Space Harrier
Galaxy Force 2
Power Drift

Crap ton of awesome Capcom fighters
Street Fighter Alpha 1-3
DarkStalkers
Street Fighter Collection
Capcom Vs Series
Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men are relatively cheap.

Sports games (also for Jon to explore)

World League Soccer '98 - more sim like than SWWS with higher res graphics, I still enjoy this game today.

Athlete Kings and Winter Heat - Track and Field style games with impressive (for the time) graphics.

Steep Slope Sliders - Fun snow boarder, showing its age but still fun.

Avoid all the EA sports games, they just couldn't program the Saturn.

There are loads more exclusive titles but that's when you start getting expensive, most of the above games will be relatively cheap.

The main tip for the Saturn is there only seemed to be Sega and Capcom who could program the thing so their titles tend to be more impressive.

Oh and if you can stomach old style FPS Duke Nukem 3D is a fantastic game and cheap too.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 29th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Die Hard Arcade

I loved that game in the arcade and the Saturn version is just as sweet

jon

Postby jon » April 29th, 2016, 11:11 pm

Those are some nice suggestions and this is a great reference. I really think I'd like a bunch of the games "Sut" mentioned. I'm also starting to develop an interest in the Japanese shooters. They might be able to satisfy my need for destruction.

Return to “Video Games General”