2016/5/19: Playstation 3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/5/19: Playstation 3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2016, 9:02 pm

A rare RPG review for the VGC! Comments please!

Ozzybear

Re: 2016/5/19: Playstation 3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Postby Ozzybear » May 20th, 2016, 3:18 am

One of my fav games! Definetly wish they would do a sequel !

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 20th, 2016, 8:32 am

Glad you liked it! I agree about how dark the game got, I actually avoided going out at night because of it. If I remember right, there's no time turning feature either, so you just have to wait it out. The pawn chatter was nice, but it got old pretty quick during the fights. "HARPY TIS WEAK TO FIRE TAKE MY FIRE FIRE LEND THY KISS I'LL STRIKE IT'S TAIL HELP ME I'LL BE RIGHT THERE I CAN'T SEE HARPY!!!" And yeah, that spiral dungeon drove me crazy too. I'm ashamed to say that it took me more than two days to realize you're supposed to run from it and not fight it.

Ozzybear, I hear they did make a sequel. It was an MMO, but it only released in Japan.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » May 20th, 2016, 11:18 am

Nice review. A few thoughts:

o I am surprised you did not mention the obvious salute to Shadow of the Colossus this game brings with its epic boss battles.
o Not sure you ever got to the Everfall based upon the review. This is one of the best features of the game (and UR Dragon)
o The game is not looking for DLC - it is loading other player's Pawns for which you can recruit if you so desire.

Glad you enjoyed the game. Thanks for the review Dave.

Terry

scotland

Postby scotland » May 21st, 2016, 10:18 am

Nice Review Mr Critic

Reviews that really encourage me to learn more and maybe get the game are always special. I might get this one (Steam Summer Sale should be next month or so) although the comment on how dark the visuals are a real stumbling block to me.

Why is "Dark Arisen" {grammer?} so visually dark? Is there some developers reason for this? You mention the draw-in issue, so I wonder if they are connected. Is the darkness a style choice for 'more mature than Nintendo' or something, because its not a plus to have murky visuals. Sure, dungeons might be gloomy or in torchlight, but outdoors scenes should be as bright as playing Madden.

When you click 'Read Full Review' on the launch page, it brings you to the PS3 review - but its really the 'Full Review'. You still have to click the "Read More" on that review too. That might not be an issue, but it just seemed off.

I was interested in the phrase "live action D&D adventure" as that sounds fantastic. Not having to micro-manage the party, or even having party members do unsanctioned things would be a welcome link to D&D. Its not quite 'live action', as Live Action Role Playing (LARP) is a different hobby, but I get the drift you were making. Good review. Thanks.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 21st, 2016, 10:47 pm

They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm

Yeah, Marriott_Guy's right about the game trying to download other player's pawns. Dave, did you play the game with other people's pawns, or did you just use the in-game ones?

Return to “Review Feedback”