2016/5/24: Genesis: Outrun, Newman Haas IndyCar Featuring Nigel Mansell, Mario Andretti Racing

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/5/24: Genesis: Outrun, Newman Haas IndyCar Featuring Nigel Mansell, Mario Andretti Racing

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2016, 8:34 pm

I think these three racing game reviews are pretty good - how about you?

Outrun is a re-review.

Breaker

Re: 2016/5/24: Genesis: Outrun, Newman Haas IndyCar Featuring Nigel Mansell, Mario Andretti Racing

Postby Breaker » May 24th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Outrun is an absolute classic, and deserves the A grade. I've only ever completed the course on four of the route options, so there is definitely more to explore there.

Glad you enjoyed Mario Andretti - I played the heck out of that game back in the day. The career mode is so satisfying. Each style requires a different bit of finesse.

Retrology

Re: 2016/5/24: Genesis: Outrun, Newman Haas IndyCar Featuring Nigel Mansell, Mario Andretti Racing

Postby Retrology » May 24th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Critic, I could never figure out how to extend my time in Outrun. How do I do that? I always end my run immediately.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2016, 7:06 am

The key is shifting to high gear! The C-button!
You'll go twice as fast!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 25th, 2016, 7:22 am

Nice reviews.

I'd love to see the Critic delve a bit deeper into the racing library of the Genesis. In particular, I've long been enthralled with the trio of 3D racers developed by Domark and would love to at least see the first one get reviewed here someday (Formula One, published by Tengen).

The 2D sprite scalers for the platform are reasonably well represented outside of Gremlin's Lotus series, but these 3D technical marvels are all absent.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Outrun is a re-review.

I suppose it's a testament to the job that Sega did, but it seems like I'm the only person that notices or is annoyed by the lack of any engine sounds from your Ferrari in this port?

Wish I had never picked up on that since it bugs me now.

Retrology wrote:Critic, I could never figure out how to extend my time in Outrun. How do I do that? I always end my run immediately.

Sounds like the Critic probably picked up on your main issue.

That said, once you get your sportscar out of low gear you gain time by reaching the end of a stage where you're awarded with extra time. That allows you with a decent run to reach the end of all 5 stages despite only starting out with 75 seconds on the clock.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 6th, 2016, 10:16 am

This is purely for fun, because both Outrun and Hang-on arcade machines are very memorable games to me from my youth. Yes, I accept the advertisement below is totally politically incorrect and noninclusive and sexist...but c'mon...lets let that go for a minute. Makes me want to play. Notice its for 8 bit versions sold in the UK, and not the Genesis version.

Here is the Mega Drive box art for comparison, and its not nearly as powerful marketing as the one above.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 6th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Agreed, the top one makes you really want to play it.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 6th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Ahh US Gold. Got all the top Sega and Capcom titles licensed, had terrific print advertising campaigns. But nearly always put together completely naff home ports.
They are rather infamous in Europe for their dodgy ports.

Ever played Out Run on the Spectrum, C64, Amstrad, ST or Amiga ? Don't they are all bloody awful.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 23rd, 2016, 9:09 am

Happy 30th birthday to Outrun in the arcades. I remember it well.

Return to “Review Feedback”