Power-Up Feature Online

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Power-Up Feature Online

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2016, 8:40 pm

The Power-Up feature is in full production mode. For $10 it gives you the site ad-free for a year.
But most importantly it lets you support the site directly. Please consider even if you use ad-blockers (especially)!

http://videogamecritic.com/upgrade.htm

Several people have already used it with no problems.
Thank you!

Herschie

Re: Power-Up Feature Online

Postby Herschie » May 24th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Keep this bumped because I'm having a problem with my bank and am flat broke at the moment, but that shouldn't be the case for long, and I do want to support this site. I wonder if my landlady will have that kind of flexibility?

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 26th, 2016, 4:11 am

I am sorry, I refuse to pay for not seeing ads, no matter how great the content on your site is. I'll keep using my Chrome Adblock Plus plug-in...

jon

Postby jon » May 26th, 2016, 12:08 pm

I don't see any problem with the new feature. In fact, if there were other sort of things to pay for, it doesn't matter to me. I'd like to see the content available still free. Even if there was a money drive, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 26th, 2016, 4:31 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:I am sorry, I refuse to pay for not seeing ads, no matter how great the content on your site is. I'll keep using my Chrome Adblock Plus plug-in...

It's more about supporting the site that it is blocking ads. In fact, I would hope readers who use ad blockers would especially consider the power-up - if they believe I should derive some sort of benefit from putting so much of my time and resources into this free site.

It's totally voluntary and anonymous so people can make their own determination.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » May 26th, 2016, 4:37 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:I am sorry, I refuse to pay for not seeing ads, no matter how great the content on your site is. I'll keep using my Chrome Adblock Plus plug-in...

Except you wouldn't be paying $10 a year (2 Starbucks Frappuccinos) to not see ads, you'd be paying to support this site. The VGC started the ads to help pay for the upkeep to this site. So the idea came to give $10 as a show of support. Dave probably thought, "What can I do as a thank you to those who contribute?" and ad-free came to mind.

Not sure why some think it's some sort of scam.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 26th, 2016, 5:41 pm

I was hoping for an Altered Beast style 'Power Up' cry when I upgraded.

Also any chance of changing the power up icon from the mushroom. I'm a Sega guy and having a Mario mushroom against my name makes me feel dirty :cry:

scotland

Postby scotland » May 26th, 2016, 7:04 pm

There are also the amazon, ebay and other shopping links that don't cost you anything.

Maybe Sut would like red sneakers instead.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 26th, 2016, 9:19 pm

I think I've been coming here since 2002 or 2001. I'm pretty sure after nearly 15 years of reading funny reviews and sharing with other like minded, cool people I can pony up $10. It's cheaper than a magazine subscription and way more useful.

But again that's me. The community is fantastic. Some folks go away. Others come back. New folks come in. It's my favorite place on the Internet...

Shapur

Postby Shapur » May 26th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Bandwith ain't free you know.

I'd go for it, but only once I get a job lol. Until then. gotta save everything for bills unfortunately.

Return to “Video Games General”