Lunar (Sega CD)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Lunar (Sega CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2016, 5:09 pm

My friend Chris and I decided to tackle this RPG which seems to have a great reputation. So far so good. The graphics are just okay but the text is big and easy to read. The orchestrated music is terrific although it kind of clashes with some of the abrasive sound effects. The "AI" feature lets the CPU takes care of little skirmishes, and that makes it easier to "grind out" the first few levels. I'm starting to gain spells so it should get more interesting soon.

Anybody else played this? I own the sequel also.

Retro STrife

Re: Lunar (Sega CD)

Postby Retro STrife » May 31st, 2016, 1:03 am

A few days ago, I saw this post and thought, "nope never played it." Saw it again today, and was about to reply with: "I've always been interested in the series, but have never played any Lunar games."

Then after a few minutes of thinking that, I realized, "Wait... didn't I play the PSP remake a few years back?" I looked it up and, sure enough, I played and beat Lunar: Silver Star Harmony several years ago, and yet barely remember it. That's weird, especially since I haven't played many RPGs in the past 5+ years. The fact that I didn't even remember that I played it to completion tells me that it must not have left much of an impression on me, good or bad.

Now, more importantly, you can't be letting yourself get all distracted with Lunar when Final Fantasy VII is still unreviewed! I know I've said this before (sorry for the repetition), but, considering that FF7 is the most popular and influential 3D RPG ever, I hope you'll take the time to personally review it someday. (nothing against the Review Crew, of course, but we need your take on that one)

MooTheKow2

Postby MooTheKow2 » June 2nd, 2016, 1:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:My friend Chris and I decided to tackle this RPG which seems to have a great reputation. So far so good. The graphics are just okay but the text is big and easy to read. The orchestrated music is terrific although it kind of clashes with some of the abrasive sound effects. The "AI" feature lets the CPU takes care of little skirmishes, and that makes it easier to "grind out" the first few levels. I'm starting to gain spells so it should get more interesting soon.

Anybody else played this? I own the sequel also.

I haven't played the Sega Cd version of Lunar/Lunar 2 since I was a kid, but I've played Lunar 1 and 2 on the PSX in their entirety about 3 times with my kids over the last 5 years (they're 7, 5 -- 3 and 1 year old not interested :-)). Great stuff -- pretty simple gameplay -- which I prefer. Just a straight forward JRPG with good music and pretty good story/dialog. The games are my little girls favorite thing ever I think (especially the eldest).

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 3rd, 2016, 3:52 pm

I have to agree with Strife on Final Fantasy VII. Please review it Critic! It belongs on the site.

Return to “Now Playing”