Big Atari Computer Game Boxes

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Big Atari Computer Game Boxes

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 30th, 2016, 12:58 pm

I was going through some of my old stuff the other day and discovered some Atari computer boxes for games like Pac-Man, Star Raiders, and Defender. Do you remember these? The black boxes are HUGE! They are 11 inches x 8.5 inches! And the cartridges they held inside were so small. I can only assume Atari's strategy was to dominate the store shelves so there would be no room for any other branch of computer games.

I also have several next generation silver boxes for Qix, Donkey Kong, and Joust. These are "only" 10 x 7.5 inches but still.

None are in great condition, but I'm thinking about making a special page dedicated to them because I find them so interesting.

Red Clash

Re: Big Atari Computer Game Boxes

Postby Red Clash » June 2nd, 2016, 3:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was going through some of my old stuff the other day and discovered some Atari computer boxes for games like Pac-Man, Star Raiders, and Defender. Do you remember these? The black boxes are HUGE! They are 11 inches x 8.5 inches! And the cartridges they held inside were so small. I can only assume Atari's strategy was to dominate the store shelves so there would be no room for any other branch of computer games.

I also have several next generation silver boxes for Qix, Donkey Kong, and Joust. These are "only" 10 x 7.5 inches but still.

None are in great condition, but I'm thinking about making a special page dedicated to them because I find them so interesting.

Please do post such an article- there are too few articles to be found discussing the merits of games packaging, particularly for older systems. I'd actually love to see you do an article (or two or more) comparing the packaging of games for various systems, something like the following, but with your own takes and insights:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111221214 ... box-NA.htm

Sut

Postby Sut » June 3rd, 2016, 3:26 pm

I loved my Atari ST boxes nice big cardboard boxes often with some fantastic art work.
image.jpeg
Final Fight ST with MegaDrive Box for Comparison
image.jpeg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (150.29 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.78 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Sut

Postby Sut » June 3rd, 2016, 3:27 pm

Couple More