What are your top ten favorite GAMES of all time???

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Funkmaster V

Re: What are your top ten favorite GAMES of all time???

Postby Funkmaster V » June 7th, 2016, 10:20 am

Looks like I have to play Frostbite then... apparently its one helluva game

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » June 7th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Frostbite is quite possibly the most addictive of the Activision 2600 games.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 8th, 2016, 1:34 am

Robotrek wrote:It's because all of the games that WOULD go on number 1 are EQUALLY as great, so I can't pick just one!

I get that, but I can't comprehend how you can pick #2 - #10 and then have multiple #1s. It's like a golf leaderboard...if four people are all tied for the lead at 6 under par, the golfer at 5 under par is in 5th place, not 2nd!

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » June 8th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Perhaps I could eventually put together a more comprehensible list.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 29th, 2016, 1:00 am

1-Tetris for any platform

2-Super Mario Bros 3 for the NES

3-Goldeneye for the N64

4-Grand Theft Auto Sand Andreas for the PS2

5-WWE 2k14 for the 360

6-Mega Bomberman for the Sega Genesis

7-Boogerman A Pick and Flick Adventure for the Sega Genesis

8-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 for the Nintendo 64

9-WCW vs NWO Revenge for the N64

10-Super Mario Bros 1 for the NES

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 30th, 2016, 3:08 pm

If this list seems heavy on late-'90s PC games... well, you can probably guess the reason.

1. The Neverhood (PC, 1996)

One of the most unique and heartfelt games I've ever played. Gorgeous, hilarious, and even touching, with a world unlike anything else. The puzzles are pretty arbitrary, but they're fun to figure out and paced perfectly, and the randomized solutions give the game more replay value than most in the adventure genre. (That said, I'd be lying if I said that the gameplay was its main appeal for me.)

2. Riven (PC, 1997)

Actually a better adventure game than The Neverhood, but while I specifically love that game (in the emotional sense), I merely think that this one's really, really cool. Delivers on and surpasses the promise of Myst in all areas, with a sense of wonder and mystery unmatched by anything else I've seen. A perfectly realized vision of an uncommonly convincing place, with puzzles to match.

3. Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)

In terms of pure gameplay, this is the best game that I've ever played. Each stage gives you so many different and creative things to do, and there's more imagination and vision in the control schemes alone than in most games. The graphics are another important element - the simple, cartoonish style lets the game limit pop-up to enemies and items, letting you visually maintain your bearings and keeping you immersed in the stages' strange little settings.

4. Earthbound (SNES, 1995)

A fascinating game, and one of the very few JRPGs that don't feel like a hassle for me to play. There's an incredible amount of character in Eagleland's wonky, geographically implausible take on the USA, and even the most trivial NPCs all have something to catch your attention. The story ties it all together with disarming emotional sincerity.

5. Grim Fandango (PC, 1998)

Both the pinnacle of LucasArts and its complete (and tragically brief) reinvention. An edgy break from the usual LucasArts wackiness, it's twisted and otherworldly but grounded in sharp noir-pastiche writing and music straight out of a Tarantino movie. One of the last great masterpieces of '90s adventure games.

6. Knytt Stories (PC, 2007)

Many, many games in one, with a community that's put the game's versatile level editor to strikingly imaginative use. The user-created "worlds" cover all kinds of ground, from grandiose epics like "A Knytt in Time" to ridiculous jokes like "Don't Eat the Mushroom". The most impressive are those that wring completely new gameplay mechanics out of the engine, like the block-based puzzles of "Define" or the Ikaruga-like shifting of "Dimensional Jumper". Its most representative worlds, though, are the pastoral, secret-riddled environments made by its creator, Nifflas, with "A Strange Dream" being his finest.

7. Abe's Oddyssee (PC, 1997)

A fantastic combination of Prince of Persia-like platform gameplay with a sophisticated teamwork mechanic and complex, puzzle-oriented design, set in a brilliantly weird alien world. Tremendously difficult, but just as rewarding. For fans of this game, there's also a worthy spiritual predecessor on the Amiga called Benefactor.

8. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube, 2001)

Best party game ever.

9. The Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II (PS2, 2002)

Kicks ass. The cars are cool, the courses are huge, and the action is completely manic when the cops show up. The soundtrack's hit-or-miss, but it has an awesome Rush song if nothing else. Stay away from the other versions; they were handled by different developers and play like crap.

10. Descent 3 (PC, 1999)

One of only a handful of games that really use 3D space to the fullest, this is the best in the Descent series, boasting the most varied and engaging level design (and that's saying a lot!). One cool thing about it is its use of real-time lighting, letting you shoot into dark areas to illuminate them - of course, it's silly that your vehicle doesn't just have a pair of headlights, but that doesn't make the mechanic any less fun.

Honorable mentions (chronological):

Turrican II (C64, 1991)
Day of the Tentacle (PC, 1993)
Flashback (Amiga, 1993)
Earthworm Jim (Genesis, 1994)
Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Quake (PC, 1996)
Jets 'n' Guns (PC, 2004)
F-ZERO GX (GameCube, 2003)
Wipeout HD (PS3, 2008)
Machinarium (PC, 2009)

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 14th, 2017, 11:23 am

It's going to be hard to choose just ten, so I went chose ten of my personal favorites that I've sunk the most time into playing:

Joust (Atari 7800)
Dragon Force (Sega Saturn)
Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
Legend of The Red Dragon (BBS)
Alien Brigade (Atari 7800)
Superfly (Atari ST)
Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis)
Fire Pro Wrestling D (Sega Dreamcast)
WCW / NWO Revenge (N64)
Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360)

Return to “Classic Gaming”