Double Dash was the best Mario Kart...

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » October 12th, 2014, 3:11 am

I feel this way not just because I got so insanely good at it, but because I felt that skill played the most role in how someone did. You actually had to learn how to get the power boost out of the drift, rather than just waiting and having it done automatically. I also liked the extreme differences between heavy and light racers, and how each one had their own special item. I was deadly putting those big bananas right before each and every jump. 

Subsequent Mariokarts with the exception of DS feel more dumbed down. Skill still plays a role, obviously, but not nearly as much, and with these new loops and anti-gravity shing-dings, it feels like they're trying to do too much. Though Mariokart 8 looks nice, it's hard to get into for these very reasons. 

Get back to the Double Dash formula, it was a winner. I popped this into my Gamecube yesterday and got a nice reminder of that. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 12th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Good point, I really do like Double Dash. I also really liked the mode where you could do all the races in one big grand prix. That was a lot of fun. Still, the DS Mario Kart is still my favorite. There are a lot of advanced techniques you can do to cut time off courses and I actually really liked Snaking.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » October 13th, 2014, 11:37 pm

While Double Dash was definitely the best one, the one I liked playing the most was still MK64 because it was not as polished. I felt a sense of uncertainty and adventure with that one because it seemed like you could always figure out a way to beat the system, or to mess with the program, sometimes providing shortcuts or at least new places to go. I remember me and my friends just going into a level with the sole purpose being looking for bugs and shortcuts. We pretty much just bounced around the scenery with the hop button. Occasionally you would find places where you could hop to the top of the scenery and fall off into infinite. It was a beautiful thing.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 14th, 2014, 5:38 am

Double Dash is a fantastic game, love the controls and such a great set of original courses. This is the game that made Mario Kart great, because both MK for SNES and N64 are poor games. I bought MK 64 AFTER Double Dash, just to try to extend the fun I had with the GC title, and was sorely disappointed. After the title screen it all goes down hill fast. The two prior MK are among the most over rated games in Nintendo history.

The Yoshi Island course on this game may be the best course in the history of the series. The WarioCoaster course as well, just fantastic. Overall, Mario KArt 8 has much much more to offer, but that is definitely a must own game for fans of Mario Kart.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 21st, 2014, 10:10 pm

Guess who's coming to DLC.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8RgXCcXnA

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » October 26th, 2014, 12:35 am

@Herschie and Sega: What Double Dash are you talking about? and @Sega: What 64,Super version did you play?

The Double Dash I still have was hardly any different from DS or Wii in that is was seriously dumbed down, the items were very telegraphed, the blue shell was an idiotic flying weapon,...and the themes seemed very dippy.

The controls for just that seemed more like some kind of bobsled game, and actually there was some snaking in that (not as bad as DS in that regard)

While it's one of the better ones, that was the beginning of the end of  extraordinary greatness for the series.

The Battle Mode was good for it's options,but the original mode was clumsier than 64.

Whereas The Pipe Frame Trilogy (Super, 64, and Advance) were far more skill based,the controls were a bit looser which led to a crazier experience, the items were random so you had to make do with what you got, the blue shell hurt everyone in its path ALWAYS, and they were just so simple to get through,not that tracks weren't creative (Ribbon Road anyone?).

Double Dash is simply vindicated against the likes of DS, Wii, and yes I say it, 8...but it's still not as good as 7 and nothing beats the Pipe Frame Trilogy yet (although 7 came very very close).

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » October 26th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Honestly, 7 is a good game, but I feel that it is very overrated. It just felt slower paced, almost plodding, even, compared to previous games. And this was worse in the underwater stages, which I was initially excited for until I played them. Not that they're bad, just really slow, although to be fair, that absolutely makes sense to do. And I don't see how everyone can say that 7 fixed the cheating AI. I honestly don't see the same thing others are seeing apparently, as in my experience, the "let's spam items at you and completely screw you over" annoyance from Mario Kart Wii carried over to 7. Maybe I'm just imagining things. Saying that, Mario Kart 7 is a very fun game, and definitely a worthy addition to the series.

Double Dash, on the other hand, was an absolute masterpiece and easily my favorite in the series. Not even Mario Kart DS or 64 (my 2nd and 3rd favorites in the series, respectively) are as good, IMO. The two racer mechanic, I think, was a brilliant addition to the series. It allowed for a greater level of strategy with the different possible combinations and the weights of the characters. Also, the character exclusive special items were awesome. Chain Chomp, anyone? The track design, IMO, was greatly improved from the previous games, not that they had bad track design. Quite the contrary, Mario Kart 64 in particular, had some great track design. It's just that Double Dash perfected the track design, and the courses were full of fun and charm, from the rollercoaster of Wario Coliseum to the absolute chaos that is Baby Park. And there are tonso of secrets in these tracks. Battle Mode was great, and Shine Thief Mode was an excellent addition that I am baffled wasn't featured in later games. They fixed the AI, too. It didn't have the item spamming of MKWii, nor the rubber band AI of MK64. The roster was also great. The music, as in all Mario Karts, is fantastic. And who can forget nice little touches like honking your horn?

I don't care what anyone says, in my humble opinion, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is the greatest Racing Game ever made. 

Herschie

Re: Double Dash was the best Mario Kart...

Postby Herschie » June 7th, 2016, 1:00 am

Is it just me or does the song they play between races get really annoying after a short-while? You'll finish a race, then go use the bathroom. Then you'll get distracted by the dog, get a phone call, decide to make a sandwich. All of the sudden you realize the song is driving you nuts.

Funkmaster V

Re: Double Dash was the best Mario Kart...

Postby Funkmaster V » June 7th, 2016, 10:33 am

Between the mind blowing tracks, customization and the excellent online play, I can't find a huge flaw in Mario Kart 8. My favorite feature in Double Dash was the giant Grand Prix mode, but overall that game never resonated with me like Mario 64 did.

Funkmaster V

Return to “Video Games General”