Ideal Time to Buy a New Console

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Ideal Time to Buy a New Console

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 10th, 2016, 8:37 am

I got into a discussion with two of my coworkers yesterday. One of them said he was going to get a PS4. I told him to go for it, since it's been out for a while and has had time to iron out the wrinkles. My other coworker said to wait a while longer, maybe a year or two, because Sony is definitely going to release an even better version, like they did with the PS3 slim (or whatever they called it). What do you guys think? When is the ideal time to buy a new console?

scotland

Re: Ideal Time to Buy a New Console

Postby scotland » June 10th, 2016, 10:03 am

I am going to say 'now.'

The future models are still in the future, there may be an unexpected RROD or OS issue, 4K sets are not the norm, VR is still not on the immediate horizon , and only a few future games will probably require the spec boost as it limits install base. Plus the current Sony and MS consoles get larger harddrives for lower prices.

Of course, its also a good time to enjoy non-modern gaming too, especially 1 or 2 generations back. Plus, a PC is a viable path to playing many modern AAA games too.

If their intent is to buy a modern Sony or MS console, and its only which and when, 2016 seems a good opportunity. Maybe wait for a bundle with the next game you wanted...

Rev

Postby Rev » June 10th, 2016, 5:04 pm

I guess it depends on how much use they are planning to put into their PS4/Xbox One. If they aren't going to play it a ton it might be better to wait for another price drop. Both Microsoft and Sony have confirmed they are working on better versions of the same console although I don't believe either will be shown at E3... I guess it's kind of a toss up.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » June 10th, 2016, 6:52 pm

I'd definitely say don't buy a PS4 right now. The new PlayStation 4 will be released this year according to most sources. Even if you don't feel you need the spec bump, the older models should be substantially discounted.

Return to “Video Games General”