My XBox One Setup Nightmare

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
matmico399

My XBox One Setup Nightmare

Postby matmico399 » June 20th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Okay I finally upgraded to an XBox One today. Gamestop had used 500 GB versions for $219. I also bought Star Wars Battlefront and Life Is Strange. I started downloading my XB1 at 6 pm. At about 10:15 it said my console was finally ready to run. Then I sit through pages and pages of crap about do I want this or that. Then it requests all this personal info. Then It asks me to upgrade to Gold (which I already have on my 360) but it keeps pestering me. Finally after all that I go to install Battlefront and after about 3 minutes I was at about 1%. I can get a full refund on the console and games within 7 days. I will try it for a few more days and see how it goes. But if it doesnt get much better this sucker is going back. I can see why 8th gen systems get such a bad rap. They will drive you to drink!

scotland

Re: My XBox One Setup Nightmare

Postby scotland » June 21st, 2016, 7:26 am

Back in the days of cartridge systems, the troubleshooting guides were a page or two in the back. Now, there are entire launch websites for products like the Xbox One, where you have to search for your particular issue and hope you find a solution. Obviously, the newer systems are far more complicated and multifunctional compared to the old cart based systems, but it should not mean such a huge rise in frustration to the end user. We don't need to be Apollo astronauts here, just consumers.

Think of how simple Steve Jobs tried to make Apple products, especially compared to the Microsoft products. I can still recall the first time I played with a friend's iphone, and how easy learning that was. Even setting up a new smartphone is pretty easy, and a smartphone is also highly complicated and multifunctional.

Here is a page on the Apple philosophy
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665375/the-6-pillars-of-steve-jobss-design-philosophy
It includes things like:
    taking pride in craftsmanship
    empathy for the end user
    not being opportunistic
    managing a brand people will trust and value,
    and making high tech devices as friendly as possible.

Maybe that's whats needed --- not necessarily Apple (which, without Steve Jobs, is changing), but that Jobs/Apple design philosophy.

Return to “Modern Gaming”