The Cleveland Sports Curse Is Finally Over

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

The Cleveland Sports Curse Is Finally Over

Postby Retrology » June 20th, 2016, 4:01 am

I'm so happy. I waited my entire life to see a Cleveland title and LeBron, Kyrie, Love, and the Cavs provided it for me.

I was at downtown tonight, it was hysterical (in a good way), and when the clock hit zero, I hugged so many people I didn't know. It was all worth it. I'm so happy right now, overcome with joy.

Tron

Re: The Cleveland Sports Curse Is Finally Over

Postby Tron » June 20th, 2016, 6:35 pm

First time in NBA history a team came back in the finals being down 3 games to 1.

At first I was wanting GS to win. Cleveland has the best player in the league so I can't root for the Cavs right? Then I realized how long it's been since Cleveland had ANY winning sports team . It's nice to see a smaller market team win. Plus Cleveland are our neighbors here in Michigan so I'm glad they won. Congrats city of Cleveland & the Cavs.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 21st, 2016, 6:16 am

Congrats to Cleveland and her many loyal fans.

Cleveland also had the misfortune of being a football powerhouse in the 1940s in the All American Football League, before joining the NFL, where they had some good years all before the NFL AFL merger. Unfortunately, most of that is forgotten as football really began its rise in popularity with the merger. That was followed by 30 years of competing with teams like the Steelers and Oilers in their glory years. This was followed by the strange split where the team moved and became the Ravens, but the franchise stayed in Cleveland (I bet many people in Baltimore would have liked to keep the Colts legacy there too). Not sure if Cleveland fans were annoyed that the Ravens have done quite well, where the renewed Browns not nearly so well. The city should enjoy some long overdue high fives.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » June 21st, 2016, 12:35 pm

I wouldn't have known Cleveland even won, except for when I was watching last nights senate conference Rob Portman rambled on for a good 10-15 minutes about Clevelands victory.

Congratulations guys.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 21st, 2016, 3:53 pm

Congrats Retro! So happy the curse is over for Cleveland. Now your city and my Atlanta are both tied for last in pro sports championships. Which of our cities will win the next? My guess is either your Cavs or my Falcons.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » June 21st, 2016, 4:33 pm

scotland wrote: Not sure if Cleveland fans were annoyed that the Ravens have done quite well, where the renewed Browns not nearly so well.

Browns fans were at 2000 when the Ravens won their first Super Bowl, 2012? Not so much. I don't really care about that team as a whole, but man they have some issues going into 2016. You've got Flacco coming off ACL/MCL injury and inexperienced receivers. I do think Buck Allen is very promising though.

The Cavs title won't take away the pain of Browns fans, but it will make it a lot more bearable this coming season.

(btw thanks for the congrats, guys. Appreciated.)

Retrology

Postby Retrology » June 21st, 2016, 4:45 pm

Also shout out to the Warriors. They were not an easy team to beat, and in my mind they were a super team. Curry and Thompson came up cold in this series, but Green and the other role players stepped up huge. Probably the toughest task any opposing team has ever had to face, and yet the Cavs not only won it, but ended the curse. Perfect.

(Curry's also one of my favorite players in the NBA too. Weird for Cavs fans to say that, right?)

Retrology

Postby Retrology » June 21st, 2016, 4:46 pm

matmico399 wrote:Congrats Retro! So happy the curse is over for Cleveland. Now your city and my Atlanta are both tied for last in pro sports championships. Which of our cities will win the next? My guess is either your Cavs or my Falcons.

Still kind of bitter over the 1995 World Series, heh.

All jokes aside, I hope Atlanta gets to experience it again soon. I think Matt Ryan is the league's most underrated QB, and with some fine tuning they can be a contender this year.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » June 25th, 2016, 8:36 am

Tron wrote:First time in NBA history a team came back in the finals being down 3 games to 1.

At first I was wanting GS to win. Cleveland has the best player in the league so I can't root for the Cavs right? Then I realized how long it's been since Cleveland had ANY winning sports team . It's nice to see a smaller market team win. Plus Cleveland are our neighbors here in Michigan so I'm glad they won. Congrats city of Cleveland & the Cavs.

Tron, my very first Cavs game was in the late late 80's against the Detroit Pistons out at the old Richfield Coliseum. I still have the program from that game up in my attic (Joe Dumars was on the cover). Throughout the late 80's and into the 90's there were a number of times that I thought that those Cavaliers led by the likes of Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance (rocking the knee-high socks), and John "Hot-ROD!" Williams might be the ones to break the curse, but it always seemed like Jordan was there blocking the way. I had great respect for him, but I still hated him as a player (especially when it seems like his highest scoring performances are against your team). I still wonder what might have been if the Cavs hadn't traded Ron Harper for Danny frickin' Ferry. Oh well, at least I can finally let that bitterness go! I might not have quite the same attachment to the current team as I did as a kid, but I'm still proud of them and incredibly happy for my fellow Clevelanders!

On a side note, Tron, I got the chance to visit the old Tigers Stadium the last year before it was torn down. I went with some family from Toledo (split 50/50 between Tigers & Indians fans). Holy shades of old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, Batman! They really loved those steel girders back in the day, didn't they? And making sure that there were always a couple seats directly behind them. :D

Scotland, it is incredibly unfortunate about the Browns era of dominance which is pretty much forgotten in today's Super Bowl era. At least people still remember Jim Brown (I was lucky enough to have a picture taken with him & my Dad and autographed when I was about 7 years old). Regarding the Move, I remember I went cold turkey on the NFL for 4 straight years until the new Browns came back. I was a pretty passionate fan of the team (as many Clevelanders are). I no longer hate the Baltimore Ravens (even though my anger was more directed at Art Modell). I'd like to think I've matured some and realized that sports are a great outlet for emotions, but there are more important things these days.

Enough rambling for now. Thank you Cavs for an incredibly awesome experience! Cleveland thanks you a million times over!

P.S. The Lake Erie Monsters (Cleveland's AHL Hockey Team) are kind of mad you stole the thunder of their Championship season.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » June 25th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Was at the Cavs parade Wednesday, and it was nuts. 1.3 million people (later reported close to 2m), couldn't find any room and got bad sunburns. Rally was delayed from 1 to 4 PM because of the crowd. That's how dedicated Cleveland was to a title.

And it was all worth it.

Return to “Other Media”