Nintendo NX Update

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Nintendo NX Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 20th, 2016, 3:53 pm

I was reading an article that the NX will use physical media which is really stating the obvious.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/g ... ail-games/

What caught my eye was some of the comments. What it is about the Internet that makes the most clueless people the most likely to press their opinion. One guy actually said that "except for load times, cartridges suck in every way". Wow.

I think I can think of a few more advantages besides load times:
- You actually OWN the game
- You can sell it if you want
- You can lend it to a friend
- You can play it on any console
- It pretty much lasts forever

... and that's just off the top of my head.

PS: The people on these boards seem to be an exception to the rule. You guys actually know what you're talking about!

ESauce

Re: Nintendo NX Update

Postby ESauce » June 20th, 2016, 3:56 pm

This goes with "It pretty much lasts forever", but more specifically to the console, less moving parts so less prone to failure.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 20th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Holding a cart in your hand
    Appreciating Label art
    Browsing the Side labels
    The distinctive pairings of many console and cartridge shapes
    As an Odyssey 2 guy, I say "handles!"
    The appreciation of rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs
    Making an old cartridge look like new again
    Buying a cartridge with the confidence it will work, and last
    The joy of firmly but not aggressively inserting a cartridge into its port
    Having a kid make a cartridge tower while you play Atari
    Giving a home to 'nekkid ladies' (carts with damaged or missing labels)

oh, and Handles!

Shapur

Postby Shapur » June 20th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Well aside from loading times, and lasts forever CD's have all those same advantages. DIscs are pretty durable if handled properly, and should theoretically outlast a cartridge. Esauce is right about the systems though, disc drives are prone to failure.

I dig carts, but as long as it isn't download only I'm happy. Flash cartridge, magnetic media, DVD drive, whatever is ok with me.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 20th, 2016, 4:43 pm

I asked my 16 y/o son that GameStop says it will have physical media releases for the N/X. I said how could it not be cartridge based then with no optical drive. He's sharper than me. He said my first guess would be SD cards.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2016, 5:17 pm

Now that I'm reading more comments in the Ars thead, On page 2 I'm seeing a lot more people stand up for physical media, so that's a good thing.

It's been speculated that the NX media will be cards similar to those used for the 3DS. In theory, you can produce cards that can be "updated" for patches/DLC or whatever.

But the IDEAL situation would be for them to be READ ONLY. NO ONLINE MODIFICATIONS. Think about it! No more annoying installation or patch updates! And the games would have to be solid right out the gate - no more publishers releasing garbage and expecting the customers to patch up their buggy code!

Voor

Postby Voor » June 22nd, 2016, 7:16 am

Honestly, I think the "no patches" days might be over. Although, like everyone, is like to see online stuff for adding levels and features, not fixing things. But, then again....if an already good game needs a couple of tweaks to be great, I guess that's better than just being stuck with a crappy game.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 26th, 2016, 2:24 pm

A little bit more NX news
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

According to Eurogamer its a portable system that has a docking station to a TV. The portable controllers detach? (that just sounds wrong), uses physical media, may use a Nvidia Tegra, and will not be backwards compatible to Wii U.

Sounds more like a portable wjth tv out than a console. We'll know more in a few weeks.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 26th, 2016, 5:13 pm

The NX rumors are just that, rumors. They have been pushing this "portable" nonsense forever, and "leaked" pictures in the past have always been proven wrong. We will see, but I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 26th, 2016, 5:45 pm

While overall I'm pleased with what Eurogamer unveiled today, I'm not so sure about detachable controllers.

Hopefully the dock can also be linked up to something like a Wii U Pro Controller in order to provide something more conventional. If not, they better at least provide a piece of plastic to link up the two halves, filling the void where the now docked screen would be if it was being utilized as a portable. And what about touch screen control? It would seem like you can hardly build a game around it when the screen has to be docked when in console mode.

In fact in lieu of software backwards compatibility which all but was confirmed by this leak, they really should at least go out of their way to support our existing and often substantial selection of Wii/Wii U accessories and provide a consumer friendly Virtual Console upgrade system that allows us to access our 3DS/Wii/Wii U VC content at a modest price as it appears on the NX eShop.

$1 should be the most that can be charged, but Nintendo is just going the wrong direction with $3 the price to upgrade Wii TG16 downloads to their Wii U counterparts with the recent addition of that platform to the Wii U's VC.

Return to “Modern Gaming”