Why hating on PS1 games?

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Why hating on PS1 games?

Postby matmico399 » July 7th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Yes I know the graphics aren't great. But for their generation they are fine. The PS1 has the most innovative game library of all systems in my opinion. Every genre is covered and some of the writers and programmers and directors were at their high point in this era. The ideas and games are brilliant. Whenever I go into a retro game store I can always find something different I haven't seen for the system. It is the first section I go to. Then the Genesis. Peeps need to give PS1 games a retry...just an outstanding collection!

scotland

Re: Why hating on PS1 games?

Postby scotland » July 8th, 2016, 11:45 am

You are right, of course. However, lack of appreciation of the PS1 is due to some definite things

1. Polygons went from a novelty to a mainstay in this generation, but now its seen as sort of neolithic polygons that are rough and primitive and distracting to modern eyes. Its a bit like the Atari 2600 - a fun library, but only for those who can enjoy the limited graphics.

2. Unlike the Atari 2600, the graphical limitations of the PS1 are partially by choice. The system could have continued sprite based graphics, but choose to go polygons as that was cutting edge and exciting at the time. Members like Jon are among those that pined for continued evolution of the sprites and 2D focused games that by that time were polished.

3. PC Gaming was coming into its own at the same time, and could outshine consoles. Games like Mechwarrior 2 were outstanding on the PC, but console ports were lackluster at best.

4. The controller evolved during the console's life. The original PS1 controller left a lot to be desired, and can be seen as just a SNES wanna be controller, but no longer for a 2D sprite based library. It didn't fit well. In my opinion, the analog controllers, especially the dual shock, was a monumental boost to the console over the original all digital ones. Since many games did not accommodate analog controllers, its almost like 2 separate libraries. Are there other consoles with library bifurcated like this?

5. Conventional Wisdom has long taken hold that the games have 'aged like milk', however, nostalgia may just now be a rising force as the former kids who grew up are about 30, and already begin to look backwards.

FreightMan07

Postby FreightMan07 » July 13th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Looking at it strictly from a technological standpoint, yes, PS1 and it's games have graphically not aged too well in most cases.

But to be honest, even those limited polygon graphics don't look so bad if they are in a high enough resolution.
Unfortunately, the PS1 and the typical display for one (a standard CRT tv) simply do NOT display a higher resolution than the 240p most games were programmed in.

Thus the graphics not only look dated, ancient, and almost prototypical to today's games, but fuzzy and ill defined as well.

However, running those SAME PS1 games through an emulator that CAN display higher resolutions and can add shaders of sorts to the original graphics, paints an entirely different picture.

Sure, even emulators with filters cannot add anything to the graphics already there (its still the same amount of polygons used), but man, can an upgrade in resolution and shader work that rounds out some edges do WONDERS for even those 'ancient' PS1 graphics!

Bottom line is, if you forgive the outdated graphics on PS1 games and play them on a regular display on real hardware, then yes, you have access to a fantastic library of games unmatched by even the more modern systems.

But if you don't mind playing your games via emulator (like me!), then you can certainly add a fresh coat of paint to those graphics and REALLY enjoy the awesome presentation go to along with the great gameplay that was always there!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2016, 9:03 pm

Maybe the chunky polygons of PS1 games will start to look charming, much like the pixelated graphics of the early 2D systems. One great thing about the PS1 is that is has a sprawling library so there are all sort of hidden gems out there to discover.

I was recently playing Batman and Robin, and while the game has serious control problems, it really is a great looking game. Especially when you're driving through town in the Batmobile.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » July 13th, 2016, 9:53 pm

I think it's mostly due to the games mostly feeling clunky in terms of controls and pacing in comparison to games from subsequent generations, which is really more of a natural consequence of being the first generation to consist largely of three-dimensional games. Most people's favorite PS1 games are the ones that either avert such problems, such as Metal Gear Solid 1, or aren't even 3D at all, such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » July 14th, 2016, 3:25 am

I agree it is the controls more than the graphics. It was an experimental time, and nobody knew what worked and what didn't in 3D. Many games have no analog control, and even those that do often have no camera control. Many younger gamers won't have the patience to really learn how to play them, and who can blame them. They were poor control schemes.

I quite like the PS1 era. You can really feel developers were just trying different things, and taking more chances trying to find the next big thing. Even if it sometimes didn't work, it is still interesting.

Return to “Video Games General”