Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Postby Sonicx9 » July 14th, 2016, 11:06 am

This is one every NES fan will go nuts for, info in the link: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187 ... rice-games

Robotrek

Re: Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Postby Robotrek » July 14th, 2016, 12:46 pm

If the price is right, sure, I'll bite. But I'm wondering if more games will be offered via a virtual console. THAT would make me bite.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 14th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Considering I pony up for the Flashbacks each year, I will probably do it here as well. It is kinda cute, and maybe its mod'able...

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » July 14th, 2016, 3:33 pm

This probably belongs in the Classic Gaming section instead, but I do find the diversity of the games included to be a pleasant surprise considering Nintendo was apparently under the impression that we needed Urban Champion on Wii U Virtual Console but not Mother 3.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2016, 5:16 pm

I moved this topic to the General forum because it really crosses all aspects of gaming, from classic to modern. I'm pretty psyched up about this. First, it will be nice to play my NES games on an HDTV via HMDI cable.

Secondly, it shows that unlike other companies who squander their backlog (*cough*Sega*cough*), Nintendo realizes that its old game catalog has value and people want to play these classics!

I've been reading a lot of articles and comments about the system, and while it's been positively received, I've been a bit perturbed by condescending media commentary who write this thing off as pure nostalgia. It's as if they can't fathom why people would anyone play games with antiquated graphics and audio.

Of course, as we all know, it's because the games are timeless classics, and they will actually outlive 99% of the modern junk that's coming out now.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 14th, 2016, 5:23 pm

This looks pretty solid and if you don't own the titles this is very appeasing (especially with built in save features). This is also a great value as buying these digitally or the original cartridges would run much higher. Pretty neat.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 14th, 2016, 6:09 pm

SOOOOOO pumped for this. This is exactly what I need. A cheap/easy method to revisit the classics for 10-15 minutes when I feel like it and to show my kids. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the games included.

Anyone know if these things will be for preorder?

Tron

Postby Tron » July 14th, 2016, 11:21 pm

I understand it has games built in. My question is will this machine work with existing cartridges?

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » July 15th, 2016, 12:35 am

Tron wrote:I understand it has games built in. My question is will this machine work with existing cartridges?

Sadly, no. There isn't even a way to put additional games on it, but who knows, some modder might find a way soon after it comes out

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 15th, 2016, 1:45 am

It's definitely cool, but after reading up on it, I'll definitely pass.

The selection is good, though there are few games on the list that I don't already own on VC (for Wii, Wii U, or 3DS). They have announced that there will be no VC (that doesn't surprise me), nor will there be any slot for future expansions. What you see is what you get. They could have taken a cue from SNK and occasionally released game packs for it, for a minimal fee. For instance, you could have an action pack that came with games like Contra, Castlevania III, Double Dragon, etc. By not having such a feature, you're basically getting incomplete libraries of games, classic as they may be.

Return to “Video Games General”