Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Postby scotland » July 15th, 2016, 6:09 am

Just like the Flashbacks, its designed as a nostalgic holiday gift rather than any sort of ongoing console. There may not be a way to add games, but there won't be any system updates or patches and you can play the games a minute after unboxing. If it sells well, they could release entire new units with new batches of games. The Flashbacks could be found well below MSRP in the holidays, so maybe this will be too.The plug and plays seem to have mostly come and gone, so its nice that retro gamers have small products like this available for the holidays.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 15th, 2016, 9:12 am

What I can't figure out is why on earth did they not announce this at E3? It was only a month ago. They could have won the show, hands down by doing this.

The library on that little device is fantastic. 30 games for $60. That's $2 a game. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Wii Console pricing. I really wish the NES Remix games on the Wii U were of this quality.

To me this is a no brainer to pick up. It will be super easy to plug it in. I'll ask for this for Christmas as it's low cost and I won't feel guilty about having it on my list.

Even if the emulation is slightly off with the sound - it's still a big don't care. It's a freaking mini-NES for crying out loud. Take my money Nintendo!

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » July 15th, 2016, 3:19 pm

(This was in response to a question, it didn't load for me)

Nintendo are not taking a direct approach in competing with Sony and Microsoft, so they had no real reason to show this hardware off. Also it's more like a nostalgia toy of higher quality than you would probably get out of a shady Famiclone from a flea market or no-name Chinese shop.

I am more excited to see what hackers like Benjamin Heckendorn will do with this...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2016, 4:25 pm

It may not be ideal, but I'm hoping this little NES will stir enough interest to make Nintendo put a little more effort into a second iteration. I think expansion cartridges with 30 games each would be a hit. Also, if they could figure out light gun support that would be great. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 16th, 2016, 6:33 pm

My wife has her original NES, but with a couple of younger children around she keeps it locked up. Even though we already have a few of these games it would be a great opportunity to introduce my soon to be 6 year old son to the NES. Plus even though things are always tight financially in my household this isn't at a pricepoint that would break the bank. I'd seriously consider something like this for a Christmas gift.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 17th, 2016, 6:08 pm

eneuman96 wrote:
Tron wrote:I understand it has games built in. My question is will this machine work with existing cartridges?

Sadly, no. There isn't even a way to put additional games on it, but who knows, some modder might find a way soon after it comes out

Well it's still cool....but, 30 games? Considering how many titles were on the NES it feels less than what it should be.

Ken Lao

Postby Ken Lao » July 18th, 2016, 7:46 am

So Nintendo wants us to pay $60 for 30 games? Not only do I think the price is a little steep, and the amount of games paltry. I think Nintendo is a little late to the party. This is something they should have came up with a while back. It is kinda neat though.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » July 18th, 2016, 9:42 am

Ken Lao wrote:So Nintendo wants us to pay $60 for 30 games? Not only do I think the price is a little steep, and the amount of games paltry. I think Nintendo is a little late to the party. This is something they should have came up with a while back. It is kinda neat though.

Really?? That's 2 dollars per game, and that is not taking into account the price for the actually hardware. And, these are pretty high caliber NES games (for the most part).

I don't think you can expect much cheaper to be honest.

I do agree that they may be a little late, but considering how fast the pre-orders are coming, it looks like this is going to be a big hit!

scotland

Postby scotland » July 18th, 2016, 10:43 am

I had not known there was pre-order available.

Even at $60, that includes the mini console and a wired controller. As for the price, come November, we might find it offered at lower prices at times.

The games are terrific games to introduce younger gamers to the 8 bit world or to give older games a nice nostalgia fix in HD, although a version with a second controller might be nice. A few games are less about the NES and more a taste of the old arcades.

If its not your thing, because of price, emulation or the virtual console, that's understandable. If it gets some advertising outside of gaming circles, and also some shelf space in retail brick and mortar stores like Target, it may do very nicely as a gift item. I think Nintendo deserves some credit for taking the risk, monetizing their back catalog but at a reasonable price, and filling the plug and play nostalgic game niche that the At Games Flashbacks show is there. Hopefully they will put at least a little marketing muscle to it as well.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 18th, 2016, 12:39 pm

And you figure they have to pay licensing fees for some of these games to the original owners, that's not too bad. Considering, if you were to get all of these games on the Wii Console at $5 a pop then you're talking $150. In my humble opinion $60 for 30 games isn't bad at all. Especially when you consider the line up offered.

Return to “Video Games General”