Dreamcast Virtua Tennis

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
matmico399

Dreamcast Virtua Tennis

Postby matmico399 » July 27th, 2016, 3:41 pm

I am not usually into sports games except for football. But I saw the Critic gave it an A+. So when I ran across this super cheap at a retro game store I snagged it. Let me tell you this game is a blast and super easy to play. Like many a working adult except for weekends time is pretty limited to play. This is one of the best pick up and play games you can get. The matches are a blast and are perfect for 30 minute gaming sessions. I usually stick this in a few times a week when I need to get my gaming "fix". Much as I do Side Pocket on the Genesis. Perfect for short gaming sessions. The only thing I can say that isn't great is the difficulty. I don't know if I'm just that bad or the AI is that good, but it is very hard to win matches. But I am determined to beat it. Grade A-

Rev

Re: Dreamcast Virtua Tennis

Postby Rev » July 27th, 2016, 6:02 pm

I love Virtua Tennis. I played the first two a ton on my DC and then played the 4th one on my 360 probably more than any other game I own for the console. It's definitely a lot of fun. The games tend to run very cheap as well and they tend to all be pretty similar.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » July 28th, 2016, 2:28 pm

I concur. I'm not even a sports game fan really, but I did get this anyway because I'll buy anything on the Dreamcast. It is amazingly easy to play, without being amazingly easy. Everything just feels right somehow.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 28th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Man guys is the game super hard to you as well? I'll look at the options screen.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 1st, 2016, 12:45 am

Best tennis game ever made IMO, and rivaled only by the other early games in the series. One of the best sports games ever, really. I remember much older gamers talking how Pong would play in their heads when they weren't playing it... well, Virtua Tennis is like the modern day version of Pong, and the same thing happened to me when I first played it! I remember getting it for my Dreamcast in the early 2000s, getting addicted to it immediately, and then I would be sitting in class the next day and endless volleys would be playing in my head all day long. It was annoying as hell!

As for the difficulty level...it's been a long time since I played it, but I seem to remember cruising through the game pretty well, but then getting totally stuck on the final guy and being unable to ever beat him. Otherwise, I don't recall the difficulty being that steep. But I did struggle more with some of the later games in the series.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » August 1st, 2016, 7:27 pm

I agree on this being the best tennis game ever. Some of the world tour missions make you want to pull out your hair but they all have a "one more try" quality to them. The last match in world tour and the last match in the hardest difficulty of career were both nightmares. I was a determined kid with lots of time on my hand and eventually beat them, but it took many, many tries.

Return to “Now Playing”