2016/8/7: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/8/7: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I like this review a lot, but want to hear your take on it.

scotland

Re: 2016/8/7: Nintendo 3DS: Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Postby scotland » August 7th, 2016, 12:55 pm

I think its 'shudder' and not 'shutter'.

Its a good read, and your sense of frustration comes through well, as does the game generally letting you down. "...little sense of exploration or discovery. Or joy. " Zing.

Does the game call the stacks 'totems?' A totem is a something like an animal spirit guide, and a totem pole a vertical arrangement of totems. A stack of people is not a totem, its Cirque du Soleil.

Since the game is really designed for multiplayer, I can see an argument that the low letter grade from playing single player is not doing the game justice. For instance, using the stack when separate people are top and bottom might be a very different experience.

I see some of the challenges have time limits - something that came up in rant thread. I am not a fan of timed challenges either.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Scotland - thanks for pointing out the typo.

I suspect the multiplayer would be just as bad if not worse, analogous to herding cats.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 7th, 2016, 7:30 pm

Great review! I agree with everything. You say it perfectly when you compare this game to a chore. That's how it feels like, one big chore. And I don't like to do chores.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 8th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback Herschie. When I hear someone else echoing the same sentiments I know I nailed the review.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 8th, 2016, 5:43 pm

It's indeed a very different experience in multiplayer.

I don't see how it's a chore with two other friends, it can be pretty hilarious even. The multiple challenges are great, and optional, like finishing the stage with an orb that limits your zone of action, doing the stage with less health, not using the sword, etc.

Single player sucks however, I agree it's a chore and it's more of a consolation prize if you don't have the internet, however seeing how it was designed as a multiplayer experience, giving the entire game a D- solely for the single player experience is really uncalled for, it's like giving a low grade to a multiplayer FPS such as Counter Strike because the AI isn't good, and you're never playing with other people.

The game wasn't designed for single player, you probably wouldn't even have reviewed the game if it was lacking a single player mode.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 9th, 2016, 11:48 pm

VicViper -
You make some valid points. Maybe I'll try the multiplayer and update the review.
VGC

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 10th, 2016, 4:01 am

Then I'll pray, in case you don't have two friends owning a copy, that you won't find yourself playing with some troll players. I've seen some pretty nasty cases on Youtube, I personally wouldn't know since I usually play this with the same people with Skype enabled. We have some lag, but that's due to one person playing far away from his internet box (which has crap speed anyway), so I can't really judge on how reliable the netcode really is, well at least there's local multiplayer.

Despite the good things I mentioned, the game is flawed, don't get me wrong, but in multiplayer it does work. It's at least B material in my book, I mean it's no genius from beginning to end, but it's fun. There's nothing to save in single player, I'll admit if the game was only single player as it is, I would've given it a D- as well, it's way too slow alone.

That said, I won't go berserk if you still don't like the game in multiplayer, at least you will have tried.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Well I gave it a try and completed one of the levels online. I was not very impressed. It seems like one of the guys have these special abilities - like being able to swim through lava! Needless to say he was always going way ahead, grabbing all the treasure and solving most the puzzles on his own. Not very fun. I will update the review but keep the grade.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 15th, 2016, 5:32 am

Critic: I wrote it many times before and now I will say it again :). If you are looking for that classic Zelda experience once more, you really should check out Zelda: Link's Awakening one day...

Return to “Review Feedback”