Nintendo Power Archive

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Luigi & Peach

Nintendo Power Archive

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 6th, 2016, 9:22 am

For any of you that wish you hadn't thrown out your classic collection of Nintendo Power magazines, here's the answer to your prayers! The entire collection can apparently now be found on Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/nintendopower). I didn't grow up a Nintendo owner, but I still loved flipping through these magazines.

scotland

Re: Nintendo Power Archive

Postby scotland » August 6th, 2016, 10:43 am

It is *really* cool, but I think it go from its origins into the early 2000s (issue 145 or so).

I don't understand the legality of the internet archive - you would think a company as protective of its property as Nintendo would fight this. Maybe because you can't do HD remakes of old magazines? Maybe Nintendo sees this as promoting their back catalog (because it does!). Or maybe there is nothing Nintendo can do.

Whatever the reason, good for us, cause these are really fun to go back and enjoy.

I was looking at issue 75 where they really try to hype the Virtual Boy with a series of red images on black pages, go into detail on Mario Clash, Street Fighter II, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, and Yoshis Island, have a list of top 20 SNES games which is awesome, show some teaser images of the Nintendo Ultra 64 (but no controller),...good times.

Metalbeard

Postby Metalbeard » August 7th, 2016, 6:03 am

Thanks for the link. Like you I didn't grow up with a Nintendo. My friends had a Nintendo I had a Sega. I can look through these magazines for hours. I especially like looking at the ads. Here's another site to check out https://www.retromags.com/

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 9th, 2016, 1:42 am

Nintendo, back at it AGAIN.....

Archive removed.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 9th, 2016, 11:52 am

Well, I can't say I am surprised at the takedown.

I can see reasons, whatever the law requires to protect their brand, etc. There is also this new book coming out this fall -
https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Power-Nintendo-NES-Classics/dp/074401767X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470712088&sr=8-1&keywords=playing+with+power which is reprinting excerpts from Nintendo Power in hardcover. I buy a lot of books about gaming, and this was on my radar, but now I feel less inclined to follow through. Rather buy that new book about Coleco at this point.

The optics of this takedown are really poor.

Right now, Nintendo's biggest asset is not their hardware, not their games, not Amiibos or Pokemon or anything like that. Its their fans. Its the nostalgia their fans have for their past games, and the love their fans for their bright family friendly fun. In an age where video games are a huge investment and a huge risk, and we see all sorts of ways hardware and software companies manage their fanbase as necessary to their economic success.

Here is a comment from Actraiser about how to treat your fanbase
ActRaiser wrote:...Plus, if your systems are online and you pay for Xbox Live or Playstation Plus you're constantly getting free games. Heck, I've got a huge backlog of games that I know I'll never get to play.

Can anyone build an argument that Nintendo manages their fanbase as well?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 9th, 2016, 7:49 pm

That stinks. That website was awesome. I was on there the other night looking at the first issue again.

I'm sure someone can say something about their coin program or whatever it is. I normally got a bad code which again only annoyed me further. Out of my three current gen systems the one that's locked up on me the most happens to be the one from Nintendo.

You are definitely right. Personally, Nintendo brings to mind some of my most fond memories. However, my experiences today with Nintendo are more of the irritating bowel sort...

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 10th, 2016, 12:18 am

Metalbeard wrote:Thanks for the link. Like you I didn't grow up with a Nintendo. My friends had a Nintendo I had a Sega. I can look through these magazines for hours. I especially like looking at the ads. Here's another site to check out https://www.retromags.com/

I was in the exact opposite boat. My friend had a Sega and I had a Nintendo. I kept wanting to play Ghostbusters on the Master System for some reason. Yeah, I was the weird kid on the block.

I do, however, remember the days of Nintendo Power. I remember the Zelda map in one of the issues. Nothing ever was where they said it was, come to find out that it was for the second quest. And who could forget Howard and Nester?

When you talk nostalgia, you're talking Nintendo Power!

Return to “Classic Gaming”