Games everyone loves, but you don't see them as great.

General and high profile video game topics.
Robotrek

Games everyone loves, but you don't see them as great.

Postby Robotrek » August 7th, 2016, 1:28 pm

What are some games everyone else is crazy for, but you just don't like all that much? I have a few right here.

Super Mario Land (Gameboy, 1989)

I first played this when my younger sister got a Gameboy for Christmas back in 1989. She had BEGGED for the damn thing. I played it, being a little excited, mainly because I knew I could bum the thing during road trips to see family in Akron, OH (worst town ever). The controls are deplorable. You WILL die due to the controls on multiple occasions. There's no avoiding this. Why do people go NUTS over this game? It's always on a "best Mario games of all time" list. I guess it's because of both nostalgia, and the shooting levels. There are literally 2 shooting levels, neither better than Sqoon. It's really nothing special. While others will give this an A any day of the weak, I'd be more tempted to give it a D-.

Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3, 2013)

Okay, fine, this game is pretty damned good. But the GTA formula is really wearing thin. The missions in this game simply weren't fun, and the majority of the map is just boring mountain terrain with absolutely nothing to do. I wish they'd included the same towns in the excellent San Andreas. Also, no local multiplayer? Why doesn't Rockstar try this out again? It worked pretty decent in San Andreas, so why not here? Oh well. It's still fun, but I wish they had tried just a little harder. Most would give it an A+, I'd give it a B+.

What are some games YOU think are overrated.

Herschie

Re: Games everyone loves, but you don't see them as great.

Postby Herschie » August 7th, 2016, 7:36 pm

I agree with GTA, I never really got into it. Nor did I ever get into any of those Guitar Hero games. Or Pokemon Go.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 7th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Star Fox 64. Never understood the appeal of this game, as some call it one of the best ever. I call it a shoulder-shrugger.

JWK

Postby JWK » August 10th, 2016, 5:30 pm

As a JRPG nut, most people are surprised to learn that I dont like most Western RPGs. Especially Bethesda games. I've tried multiple times to enjoy my time with Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3, but nope. Get bored incredibly easy and end up casting the games aside. And the combat in the Elders Scrolls game is just awful in my opinion.

I have one last game I'm gonna try: Witcher 3. I'll get it after the GOTY edition drops in price. If I can't get into that one, I think I'm done with the genre for a while.

m0zart

Postby m0zart » August 10th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Any of the Halo games. No judgment on anyone who likes them, I just don't get the appeal.

Final Fantasy games -- I've played some, but I don't get why they are so well loved. Again, no judgment to those who love them.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » August 10th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Adding onto JWK's comment, I simply cannot get into The Witcher 3. Everybody and their mother raves about it, but I just find it to be so tremendously dull for whatever reason. I'd much rather be playing a game like Bloodborne than The Witcher 3.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » August 10th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Super Mario Bros 3: Gonna get a lot of heat for this, but I never really found this as enjoyable as the other Mario games. Just seemed a bit frustrating+Hated how mushrooms would sometimes move right or left depending on where you hit them. I think it's still good, but I'm just not as into it.

Banjo Tooie-This hasn't aged nearly as well as Banjo Kazooie. Everything is big for the sake of being big, making it near impossible to tell where you're going. The original's design got it right.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 11th, 2016, 5:18 am

Tomb Raider 1 - I played it on the Sega Saturn at the time and I hated it. Slow-moving, awkward camera-angles and usually I had no idea where to go, I found it a boring experience and I never understood the fuss about it.

Strider - maybe this Sega Genesis game was great at the time of release, but I don't like it at all. The controls are awkward and loose and the animations is choppy. Especially the floating jumps annoy me. Recommended by many, but not by me.

Sonic CD - I'm a big Sonic fan, I spent hours on Sonic 1/2/3/& Knuckles. In comparison to those games, I find Sonic CD not more than average. The graphics are nice and the audio is pretty good, but I find the levels confusing and the time/past mechanic annoying (it interrupts the flow of the game a lot). I also think the bonus stages are way too hard. It's not horrible or anything, but I just don't get the people who call it 'the best Sonic game ever'. For me, it's far from it.

NAC2

Postby NAC2 » August 12th, 2016, 4:05 am

CaptainCruch wrote:Sonic CD - I'm a big Sonic fan, I spent hours on Sonic 1/2/3/& Knuckles. In comparison to those games, I find Sonic CD not more than average. The graphics are nice and the audio is pretty good, but I find the levels confusing and the time/past mechanic annoying (it interrupts the flow of the game a lot). I also think the bonus stages are way too hard. It's not horrible or anything, but I just don't get the people who call it 'the best Sonic game ever'. For me, it's far from it.

I also believe that Sonic CD pales in comparison to the Genesis titles. As much as I like the opening and ending animations, as well as the soundtrack, the level design is just off. Also, I feel that there are too many factory-themed levels, and, although I love the super peel-out, the spindash just takes too long to get going. Far from a bad game, but I find myself revisiting Sonics 1-3 and Knuckles more frequently.

Now for my unpopular opinion: I just can't get into the classic Mega Man games. I played Mega Mans 1, 2, and 3 on the anniversary collection for the Gamecube. I really wanted to love these games. However, I kept suffering through far too many cheap deaths, and I eventually grew tired of replaying stages due to said deaths. I swear that I feel through platforms on many occasions (I'm referring to the smaller moving platforms attached to rails). Also, I hate the Yellow Devil at the end of Mega Man 1. I realize this is one of the final bosses, but I couldn't dodge all of those yellow blobs if my life depended on it! I learned later on that a lot of gamers used a pause glitch to beat the Yellow Devil. If I need to exploit a glitch to beat a boss, then something is wrong. I will probably revisit these games in the future, but, for now, I need a break. I love Mega Man X though! :)

Also, I don't really pay much attention to Pokemon Go, and I'm actually a big fan of the Pokemon series. I just prefer the more complex battle mechanics in the main series games. This is just a personal preference though, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I suppose I can't expect too much depth if I'm not paying to play the game (aside from the use of data).

I love these threads that encourage the sharing of unpopular opinions. They keep things interesting. :D

Voor

Postby Voor » August 12th, 2016, 7:52 am

Retrology wrote:Super Mario Bros 3: Gonna get a lot of heat for this, but I never really found this as enjoyable as the other Mario games. Just seemed a bit frustrating+Hated how mushrooms would sometimes move right or left depending on where you hit them. I think it's still good, but I'm just not as into it.

I never cared much for Mario 3, preferring Mario 2 and world and Yoshis Island, but I've watched several speedruns of it during the awesome games done quick marathons, and I appreciate it a lot more. The stages are probably the most technically challenging and it's very impressive to see the runners blaze through them in 10-20 seconds.

Return to “Video Games General”