Games everyone loves, but you don't see them as great.

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: Games everyone loves, but you don't see them as great.

Postby Voor » August 12th, 2016, 7:56 am

NAC2 wrote:
CaptainCruch wrote:Sonic CD - I'm a big Sonic fan, I spent hours on Sonic 1/2/3/& Knuckles. In comparison to those games, I find Sonic CD not more than average. The graphics are nice and the audio is pretty good, but I find the levels confusing and the time/past mechanic annoying (it interrupts the flow of the game a lot). I also think the bonus stages are way too hard. It's not horrible or anything, but I just don't get the people who call it 'the best Sonic game ever'. For me, it's far from it.

I also believe that Sonic CD pales in comparison to the Genesis titles. As much as I like the opening and ending animations, as well as the soundtrack, the level design is just off. Also, I feel that there are too many factory-themed levels, and, although I love the super peel-out, the spindash just takes too long to get going. Far from a bad game, but I find myself revisiting Sonics 1-3 and Knuckles more frequently.

Now for my unpopular opinion: I just can't get into the classic Mega Man games. I played Mega Mans 1, 2, and 3 on the anniversary collection for the Gamecube. I really wanted to love these games. However, I kept suffering through far too many cheap deaths, and I eventually grew tired of replaying stages due to said deaths. I swear that I feel through platforms on many occasions (I'm referring to the smaller moving platforms attached to rails). Also, I hate the Yellow Devil at the end of Mega Man 1. I realize this is one of the final bosses, but I couldn't dodge all of those yellow blobs if my life depended on it! I learned later on that a lot of gamers used a pause glitch to beat the Yellow Devil. If I need to exploit a glitch to beat a boss, then something is wrong. I will probably revisit these games in the future, but, for now, I need a break. I love Mega Man X though! :)

Also, I don't really pay much attention to Pokemon Go, and I'm actually a big fan of the Pokemon series. I just prefer the more complex battle mechanics in the main series games. This is just a personal preference though, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I suppose I can't expect too much depth if I'm not paying to play the game (aside from the use of data).

I love these threads that encourage the sharing of unpopular opinions. They keep things interesting. :D

The thing about Mega Man is the ultra responsive controls and that version you played on the GameCube isn't as tight as the originals. I had the same version, and didn't like it near as much and couldn't figure out why, and went back and played the original and was like "oh ok, that's why". Lol.

Mega man has some really nice pacing, but I can see if some people feel it hasn't aged well.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 12th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Link to the Past.

World design? Second to none. You'll want to explore every inch. Soundtrack? Iconic. Graphics? Considering all they packed into a tiny cart? No complaints at all about the world of the marshmallow people. Gameplay wise, this is the height of the 16 bit era.

Character wise, I've seen better stories written in broken crayon. My uncle dies, and whatever, who has time to mourn, I've got his sword! Now I can kill all the innocent possessed guards! For those who can't stand Clocktown, this is as close as you can get to Nintendo behaving like Rock Star, but at no point did I really care about saving this Hyrule.

And it wasn't the technological limitations.

There was more heart and soul in just a few notes of the 8bit song of the windfish. I wanted to save everyone, in that game.

Even though I knew doing the right thing, meant ending their lives.

NAC2

Postby NAC2 » August 15th, 2016, 3:39 am

Voor wrote:
NAC2 wrote:
CaptainCruch wrote:Sonic CD - I'm a big Sonic fan, I spent hours on Sonic 1/2/3/& Knuckles. In comparison to those games, I find Sonic CD not more than average. The graphics are nice and the audio is pretty good, but I find the levels confusing and the time/past mechanic annoying (it interrupts the flow of the game a lot). I also think the bonus stages are way too hard. It's not horrible or anything, but I just don't get the people who call it 'the best Sonic game ever'. For me, it's far from it.

I also believe that Sonic CD pales in comparison to the Genesis titles. As much as I like the opening and ending animations, as well as the soundtrack, the level design is just off. Also, I feel that there are too many factory-themed levels, and, although I love the super peel-out, the spindash just takes too long to get going. Far from a bad game, but I find myself revisiting Sonics 1-3 and Knuckles more frequently.

Now for my unpopular opinion: I just can't get into the classic Mega Man games. I played Mega Mans 1, 2, and 3 on the anniversary collection for the Gamecube. I really wanted to love these games. However, I kept suffering through far too many cheap deaths, and I eventually grew tired of replaying stages due to said deaths. I swear that I feel through platforms on many occasions (I'm referring to the smaller moving platforms attached to rails). Also, I hate the Yellow Devil at the end of Mega Man 1. I realize this is one of the final bosses, but I couldn't dodge all of those yellow blobs if my life depended on it! I learned later on that a lot of gamers used a pause glitch to beat the Yellow Devil. If I need to exploit a glitch to beat a boss, then something is wrong. I will probably revisit these games in the future, but, for now, I need a break. I love Mega Man X though! :)

Also, I don't really pay much attention to Pokemon Go, and I'm actually a big fan of the Pokemon series. I just prefer the more complex battle mechanics in the main series games. This is just a personal preference though, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I suppose I can't expect too much depth if I'm not paying to play the game (aside from the use of data).

I love these threads that encourage the sharing of unpopular opinions. They keep things interesting. :D

The thing about Mega Man is the ultra responsive controls and that version you played on the GameCube isn't as tight as the originals. I had the same version, and didn't like it near as much and couldn't figure out why, and went back and played the original and was like "oh ok, that's why". Lol.

Mega man has some really nice pacing, but I can see if some people feel it hasn't aged well.

I suppose, in hindsight, that the Gamecube analog stick isn't the best option for 2D retro games that require precise platforming. I will likely get the NES versions of the original Mega Man games in the future, assuming that the NES I received a year ago works. Thank you for the heads up Voor. It's annoying when ports/remakes of games are inferior to the originals. Can you imagine how much someone would hate Sonic 1 if he/she first played Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (GBA)? Alright, I'm sure that's a much more drastic scenario then what I had with the classic Mega Mans.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 15th, 2016, 4:01 pm

I suppose that Star Fox 64 has to be the best example for me. As a fan that loved the original, this one several years later felt very lacking despite all of its merits and near universal acclaim. Just something about the atmosphere of it that isn't what this Star Fox fan was looking for in a follow-up. Saw the ending once and that was enough for me.

For a slightly different take on this topic, how about the game that you feel like you should love, but have never really been able to get into? That's another easy one for me since it's Sega's Afterburner. Numerous versions of it in my collection, I enjoy this style of game and the military theme, and the amazing sprite scaling graphics have always fascinated me.

Yet the gameplay just has never enthralled me.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 16th, 2016, 4:47 am

Atariboy wrote:For a slightly different take on this topic, how about the game that you feel like you should love, but have never really been able to get into?

That's interesting, quite a few games fall into this category for me...
Ristar, Dynamite Headdy, Decap Attack, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes... all excellent games, but I just cannot get into them. I dunno why.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 16th, 2016, 7:32 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:
Atariboy wrote:For a slightly different take on this topic, how about the game that you feel like you should love, but have never really been able to get into?

That's interesting, quite a few games fall into this category for me...
Ristar, Dynamite Headdy, Decap Attack, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes... all excellent games, but I just cannot get into them. I dunno why.

This sounds reasonable actually. It sounds like you probably just don't like run and gun games. So no matter how good a run and gun it is its just not your bag. Kind of how Dave is with RPGs.

thejesu

Postby thejesu » August 25th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Paperboy :D

Metalbeard

Postby Metalbeard » August 26th, 2016, 4:02 pm

GTA 5. Even got it for free from a friend for my PS3. Tried playing it for a few hours (after taking forever to install). Just couldn't get into it. Give me vice city any day.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 26th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Agreed Metal. I deplored GTA V. Vice City was the best!

Voor

Postby Voor » August 27th, 2016, 11:06 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Link to the Past.

World design? Second to none. You'll want to explore every inch. Soundtrack? Iconic. Graphics? Considering all they packed into a tiny cart? No complaints at all about the world of the marshmallow people. Gameplay wise, this is the height of the 16 bit era.

Character wise, I've seen better stories written in broken crayon. My uncle dies, and whatever, who has time to mourn, I've got his sword! Now I can kill all the innocent possessed guards! For those who can't stand Clocktown, this is as close as you can get to Nintendo behaving like Rock Star, but at no point did I really care about saving this Hyrule.

And it wasn't the technological limitations.

There was more heart and soul in just a few notes of the 8bit song of the windfish. I wanted to save everyone, in that game.

Even though I knew doing the right thing, meant ending their lives.

Interesting. It's very common for games to have paper-thin background stories, but most people don't care if the gameplay is exciting.

Return to “Video Games General”