2016/8/15: Nintendo 64: Knife Edge: Nose Gunner, Hydro Thunder

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/8/15: Nintendo 64: Knife Edge: Nose Gunner, Hydro Thunder

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2016, 5:18 pm

I hope you enjoy my latest batch of N64 reviews! Hydro Thunder is a great summer title.

Rev

Re: 2016/8/15: Nintendo 64: Knife Edge: Nose Gunner, Hydro Thunder

Postby Rev » August 15th, 2016, 9:07 pm

I was wondering if the N64 version offered anything over the excellent DC version. I guess I fall in the same boat that I assumed the N64 version wouldn't offer anything for me to see, I might have to pick this up now. HT is an excellent arcade title and is probably the only boat racing game I enjoy (can't think of any other honestly)...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 16th, 2016, 7:31 am

Nose gunner... what a daft name for a game... Knife edge nose gunner ... even worse!

HT was a good game back in the day. Midway produced some classy titles. I miss their output.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 16th, 2016, 7:46 pm

I don't think it's such a weird name. In fact it's kind of clever since it explains why you're not piloting the ship you're in.

While Knife Edge doesn't mean anything and is just there to sound cool, a nose gunner is a real position on large military aircraft in the WWII era before the development of jet aircraft and then guided missiles eliminated the usefulness of the role. And this is a futuristic take on that concept, with you manning the forward gun position on a spacecraft being piloted by someone else.

You'd really think it was weird sounding if it was called Knife Edge: Ball Turret Gunner...

scotland

Postby scotland » August 16th, 2016, 9:06 pm

I thought Knife Edge was the name of the ship, as well as symbolizing living life on a Knife's Edge, i.e., having to sustain exceptional performance to survive.

Another style of gunner, Tailgunner, was also an exceptionally good vector graphics analog contoller arcade game. Tailgunner Joe was also the nickname of an infamous US senator in the 1950s, Joe McCarthy, which helps keeps that term in the minds of Americans a bit more.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 18th, 2016, 1:48 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I hope you enjoy my latest batch of N64 reviews! Hydro Thunder is a great summer title.

Well, you got me all pumped to buy this game and then I check ebay and see it goes for twice the price of the Dreamcast and PS1 versions!.... I guess I'll have to pass for now, but I'll keep it on my radar. Thanks for the review..before this, I had always assumed, like you, that there was no sense bothering with the N64 version when I have the DC version.

Side Note: Since I was already in your N64 games, I got curious to check out your Pokemon Snap review score....only to find that you've never reviewed it! I'm not really a Pokemon fan at all--played Pokemon Blue for like 5 hours back in the day, and never played another Pokemon game since--but I am a fan of unique, one-of-a-kind games...and there's perhaps no better example on the N64 that is as simultaneously unique and excellent as Pokemon Snap. Not only fun to play, but it's almost a genre unto itself...like Katamari Damacy, I can't think of any game before or since that is like Pokemon Snap. And it's pretty cheap. If you don't own it, highly recommended!

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 2nd, 2016, 11:11 pm

Just got Hydro Thunder for the N64 yesterday because of the review, and I love it! I already loved the arcade version, so this is excellent too. Love the graphics, creativity, shortcuts, and smooth gameplay.

I also second a Pokemon Snap review, critic. You don't need to know anything about Pokemon to play this game. There's plenty of secrets and surprises, and it's overall a fun game I'd recommend for anyone willing to try something new.

Return to “Review Feedback”