The Best Console.

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Re: The Best Console.

Postby Sut » August 18th, 2016, 10:52 am

Nah definitely the Saturn.

Only kidding I love me some Saturn but the PS2 is gaming legend. Echoing other posters sentiments there is literally something for everyone on this console.
Everyone loves Dreamcast but that console still suffers the wonky camera controls of the PS1/N64/Saturn era which the PS2 (by and large) rectified. Still the Dreamcast is a great console with a very high good game ratio but the PS2's life and reach was so vast I don't think it will be topped.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 18th, 2016, 10:47 pm

CharlieR wrote:The ps2 seemed to be quite the workhorse. I've heard about the original model being really durable. I've had the slim model since around 2008, and no problems.

So many games to play, with ps2 and ps1. The one thing, just from a collecting standpoint, is that if there was a third party game released for GC, Ps2, and xbox, it's usually cheapest on ps2 because there were so many games on it. xbox and GC games seem less popular.

Durable?!? No way! I'm on my 5th PS2 & it's so finicky I don't like to change games on it. I've gone through two fats and two slims. I think the PS2 is the least durable console of all time, except maybe for the 360 and Colecovision.

jon

Postby jon » August 18th, 2016, 11:36 pm

For me it's the Neo Geo. But, I think there is a compelling reason for the PS2. Because, it did offer a fully realized 3d experience. I remember playing FIFA 2002 for the first time and being like, here we are.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 19th, 2016, 1:44 am

The original PS2 is one of the least reliable consoles of all time. That's because Sony used Sanyo DVD drives in them to cut costs.

Funny how some of the best consoles ever are also the most finicky (NES, Dreamcast, PS2, launch PS3, 360). My N64 is still going strong since 1996 (not that it's a bad console by any means).

Kevin

Postby Kevin » August 19th, 2016, 12:33 pm

The original Playstation needs to go down as one of the least durable consoles. I had a few friends that had to turn them on their side to get them to play. It was a pretty common problem, that's why I found it to be hilarious when Sony first announced the ps2 could be put on it's side.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 19th, 2016, 6:45 pm

I agree the Dreamcast is a phenomenal console. Ahead of its time. And a lot of the quality games are affordable, though not all. The Saturn to me is a bit of a niche system as well. I enjoy the small collection of games I have for it. But DAMN if almost all the good games are super expensive! If I had done more research and saw what the games were going for I might never have bought it. I could have invested that cash into more games for other consoles. Cool system but buyer beware!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 20th, 2016, 8:04 am

Tron wrote:
CharlieR wrote:The ps2 seemed to be quite the workhorse. I've heard about the original model being really durable. I've had the slim model since around 2008, and no problems.

So many games to play, with ps2 and ps1. The one thing, just from a collecting standpoint, is that if there was a third party game released for GC, Ps2, and xbox, it's usually cheapest on ps2 because there were so many games on it. xbox and GC games seem less popular.

Durable?!? No way! I'm on my 5th PS2 & it's so finicky I don't like to change games on it. I've gone through two fats and two slims. I think the PS2 is the least durable console of all time, except maybe for the 360 and Colecovision.

I guess it varies. I've read some people say it was durable, others not. I've never had a problem with mine. My cousin dropped his n64 down a flight of stairs and it still worked. Those older consoles were built to last it seems.

As far as game libraries, I think ps2 has the most variety, and you can easily pick out a game when you don't know what to play.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 20th, 2016, 2:40 pm

With older PS2's, the fat models, 39001 is the best. It's the quietest, most reliable model, and the lasers hold up VERY well over time. I own 3 of them. GREAT models to have. I don't really like the slims, since I use the hard disk to juggle save files a lot.

thejesu

Postby thejesu » August 25th, 2016, 6:27 pm

I'm between NES and SNES.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 8th, 2016, 4:38 am

Really hard to argue against the PS2 for best overall.

For best hardware, the 3DO. Tragically ahead of its time - if The Need for Speed is any indication, it was on the level of the PlayStation half a generation earlier. (OK, a year and a half earlier. But a huge year and a half!) Everything else about it - the business model, the controller, and especially the library - was a train wreck, but the engineers were heroes.

Best controller: Toss-up between the DualShock, GameCube controller, and XBOX Controller S. The DualShock puts your thumb on the left stick diagonally, which makes horizontal motion much less accurate (racing games are hit worst by this), but the GameCube controller has only one left shoulder button and a weird little nub for a right stick. The Controller S has neither of those problems, but it does have a worthless pad and a ridiculous travel distance on its triggers. Actually, screw it - the SNES controller has no sticks or second shoulder buttons, but that just means that it can't mess them up!

And of course, the Vectrex is the coolest console.

Return to “Video Games General”