Want a good wireless controller option for the NES and SNES?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
snakeboy

Want a good wireless controller option for the NES and SNES?

Postby snakeboy » August 26th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Actually, you probably already have a wireless controller that you can use for the NES or SNES, you just need one of these 8bitdo retro receivers to make it work with the system:

NES: http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes/

SNES: http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

These will let you use a PS3/PS4 controller, Wii U Pro controller, or Wii remote on the NES and SNES. You can also use one of 8bitdo's own bluetooth controllers, which are fashioned after the original NES and SNES gamepads (The NES one has extra buttons so you can use it on the SNES, too).

I just got the NES retro receiver in the mail yesterday, and so far I'm liking it a lot. Yes, I know the purists out there will argue that using the original gamepads is always the best way to go, blah blah blah, but you can't beat playing the NES in bed at night un-tethered to the console. You might ask, is there any lag? Well, I've tested it with a few games like Contra, SMB3, Life Force, Castlevania, and Galaga, and I haven't noticed any at all (And I'm usually pretty picky about that sort of thing).

Initially, I was a little disappointed because I bought this primarily to use a Wii remote on the NES, and at first it seemed like every time you turned off the console and turned it back on, you would have to re-pair the controller to the receiver to get it to connect. But after finding the instructions on 8bitdo's website (Mine came with none), I found out you have to hold down the 1 and 2 buttons on the Wii remote to get it to re-connect after powering the system off.

And as an added bonus, I tried my NES receiver on the Retron 5, and it worked! And from what I've read, 8bitdo's own bluetooth controllers will work with the Retron 5 even without the receiver.

Return to “Classic Gaming”