Things in Video Games you Hate?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Re: Things in Video Games you Hate?

Postby Retrology » August 30th, 2016, 1:49 pm

ESauce wrote:
Herschie wrote:Those stupid intros in Madden that you have to play before you can get to the main game. Hate them. They suck. Quit wasting my time.

What, you didn't think the playoff match at home for the LA Rams was realistic? :lol:

Didn't you hear? Jeff Fisher isn't going for that "7-9 BS."

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » September 2nd, 2016, 11:13 am

Regenerating enemies was the bane of my existence in the NES days. It made the game more difficult, sometimes required you to use special weapons that had limited usage and also created storyline problems. If every enemy that you finish off (minus the bosses) just regenerates then do you really save the world in an NES Ninja Gaiden or do you have 6-7 levels full of regenerated lesser enemies still running around?

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » September 2nd, 2016, 2:05 pm

I'm playing the Strider remake recently and another minor thing came to my mind.
Everytime you reach a save point, you have to stand on a plaque and "press X to restore your health".
Why do you have to ask?! Just restore it automatically. Is there anyone who would say "No thanks, I don't want my health restored"?!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 4th, 2016, 10:04 am

Something I like: boss fights with multiple stages.

Something I hate: when you have to start over from the very beginning of the fight when you die, regardless of what stage of the fight you're in. I mean, what's the point?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2016, 10:24 pm

In Mighty No 9 (Wii U), the B button is used to advance and A is used to go back. That's the exact opposite of every other Wii U game! So annoying.

geforcefly

Postby geforcefly » September 5th, 2016, 9:00 am

Here's a few:

In a racing game, running out of time and losing while you're in first place. Also, rubber-banding AI.
In FPS games, getting hit and being unable to find what's hitting you. Also, uneven playing fields in multiplayer (some players have weapons you CAN'T have until a certain level).
No life bars for bosses.
Pay-to-win.
You save your game in an unwinnable situation, requiring restarting from the beginning.
Rush AAA game out, fix glitches later.
A very small number of games that REQUIRE more powerful variants of same hardware (Xenoblade Chronicles for NEW 3DS); Gameboy Color had tons of exclusives unlike the New 3DS making it worth the upgrade.
Always-online DRM.
AI in fighting games always being one frame ahead causing all your attacks to be countered.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 6th, 2016, 8:41 pm

I'd have to say games where you can't save whenever you want. One in particular comes to mid: the original crash bandicoot. The save system drives me insane to the point where I don't play the game that much anymore.

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » December 21st, 2016, 12:09 am

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just wanted to add a couple things:

Time limits on high-score name entry screens. I've noticed a lot of arcade games, especially fighting games, are notorious for this.
Also, Quick-Time Events. I was really excited about Bayonetta 2, until I played the demo. One or two quicktime events would be fine if were just one simple button mash, but I found the ones in that game really to be really confusing and the on-screen symbols weren't always clear. It even forced them into cut-scenes! I kept dying over and over, and had no idea why until I figured it out. I bought a pro-controller thinking that it would help make certain things like rotating the analog stick while hammering on whatever button easier, but somehow I did even worse when I used it. I'm glad Nintendo put up a demo though, because it saved me a lot of money.

Return to “Video Games General”