Castle of Illusion remake review

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Atariboy

Re: Castle of Illusion remake review

Postby Atariboy » August 31st, 2016, 1:37 pm

Microsoft also just added this to the Xbox One backwards compatibility list. Nice to see them move this to the front of the queue with its demise imminent. Come tomorrow it would've been too late.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 31st, 2016, 3:21 pm

I thought the PSN sale was supposed to last until today, but now the game is back at full price. Guess I won't be getting it now. Oh well.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 31st, 2016, 6:23 pm

I've only played the first act but I am pleasantly surprised. Plays very much like a 16-bit platformer but with gorgeous graphics and presentation and some nice set pieces to maintain variety (being chased by a giant Apple like Indiana Jones).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 1st, 2016, 2:39 am

snakeboy wrote:I thought the PSN sale was supposed to last until today, but now the game is back at full price. Guess I won't be getting it now. Oh well.

What a bizarre move to restore it to full price during its last hours of availability.

It makes me wonder if the people on Neogaf where I learned about this are even correct about it being slated for delisting, since it doesn't make sense to do this.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 1st, 2016, 1:23 pm

I know this is going to sound odd, but I torrented the PC version in response to this. I know, I know, piracy is wrong, but it's simply going into my digital software archive. I have an entire 4tb SSD that was purchased with the soul intent of preserving download only software. It's how I'll ensure that 25 years from now, when I'm almost 70, I'll still have this software to enjoy, and perhaps show my grandkids (if I ever have those) the software from the 2010's. Funny, I have to preserve this stuff just to make sure it survives. Meanwhile, my Atari 2600 carts from the early 80's still all run fine. Just the sad truth of download only media.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 2nd, 2016, 8:53 pm

Atariboy wrote:
snakeboy wrote:I thought the PSN sale was supposed to last until today, but now the game is back at full price. Guess I won't be getting it now. Oh well.

What a bizarre move to restore it to full price during its last hours of availability.

It makes me wonder if the people on Neogaf where I learned about this are even correct about it being slated for delisting, since it doesn't make sense to do this.

I thought it was weird too. Wouldn't you keep it on sale to get as many downloads as you can before it's de-listed? Almost makes you think that they jacked the price back up to take advantage of the people who were desperate to buy it at the last minute.

It's a shame because I played the demo and liked it a lot. But now I'm actually kind of happy I didn't buy it even at the reduced price. Just yesterday I realized I'm almost out of hard drive space on my old 40GB system, which is a replacement for an old 60GB system that bit the dust. Then I got the idea of taking the hard drive out of my dead system and putting it in my working one. By doing that, I would never have been able to re-download Castle of Illusion anyway.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 3rd, 2016, 9:11 am

You'd of actually been able to redownload it just fine. The game has been delisted for sale, not delisted for redownloading by existing owners. Only some freebies and for a while, some Hamster published PS1 downloads before a rights issue was resolved, have ever disappeared from people's purchase history preventing them from redownloading them.

All you would've needed to do is log back into your system with the account that made the purchase and redownload it. In fact if you used an external drive, the system even has a utility to save you that hassle by moving the content over temporarily to the external and then moving it back to your new internal drive.

My PS3's are actually disconnected and I made the purchase via the PC storefront for PSN. All I'll have to do on both of my PS3's when I hook them back up is log into my account, go to my purchase history, and download them to each. That will happen weeks, maybe months from now long after the game was delisted from sale.

It wouldn't even be tied to that specific PS3. You have two licenses for each PS3 purchase these days (Used to be 5), allowing it to be present on two different PS3's simultaneously. And if one or both systems failed, you can always deactivate your systems through the PC storefront to clear your licenses to allow your content to be redownloaded to replacement hardware.
Last edited by Atariboy on September 3rd, 2016, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 3rd, 2016, 12:35 pm

Atariboy wrote:You'd of actually been able to redownload it just fine. The game has been delisted for sale, not delisted for redownloading by existing owners. Only some freebies and for a while, some Hamster published PS1 downloads before a rights issue was resolved, have ever disappeared from people's purchase history preventing them from redownloading them.

All you would've needed to go is log back into your system with the account that made the purchase and redownload it. In fact if you used an external drive, the system even has a utility to save you even that hassle bymoving the content over temporarily to the external and then moving it back to your new internal drive.

My PS3's are actually disconnected and I made the purchase via the PC storefront for PSN. All I'll have to do on both of my PS3's when I hook them back up is log into my account on each, go to my purchase history, and download them to each. That will happen weeks, maybe months from now long after the game was delisted from sale.

It's wouldn't even be tied to that specific PS3. You have two licenses for each PS3 purchase these days (Used to be 5) allowing it to be present on two different PS3's simultaneously. And if one or both systems failed, you can deactivate your systems through the PC storefront to clear your licenses to allow your content to be redownloaded to replacement hardware.

Thanks for the info. I just figured that if you lost a game that had been delisted from the store, it was gone for good.

Funny thing is I would've bought it on the spot when on sale, but when checking out I got a notification saying I needed to make a minimum $5 purchase. I had no idea what else to buy but ended up deciding to get a Zen Pinball table. I spent a lot of time playing the demos, and once I finally decided which table I wanted, I went to checkout and Castle of Illusion was back at full price.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 1st, 2017, 7:23 pm

It's back.

Return to “Now Playing”