Things you found out years later about your favorite games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Herschie

Things you found out years later about your favorite games?

Postby Herschie » July 17th, 2016, 6:16 pm

For me, two things come to mind; the bongos play in Super Mario World every time you mount Yoshi. I always thought that it was random. And now here I am playing Majora's Mask, thinking about what a pain in the rear it would always be having to collect everything each time I played. Because I always thought that the only way to save was to play the Song of Time, meaning that you lost all your items. When I played the remake on the 3DS, I thought it was pretty cool feature as to how you can now save at all the owl statues. Little did I know that you could also have done that in the original. Would have saved me loads of time had I known that.

In any case, what have you guys discovered about your favorite games years after you played them?

ESauce

Re: Things you found out years later about your favorite games?

Postby ESauce » July 18th, 2016, 11:50 am

I never knew how to Continue when you got game over in Super Mario Bros when I was a kid. I had done it by accident a couple times and would always mash buttons to try and get it to give me the continue option (I thought it was a code, not just holding one button).

Kevin

Postby Kevin » August 18th, 2016, 12:17 am

I used to love Darkwing Duck for NES as a kid, I had a loose copy and didn't have the instruction booklet. I beat it many times. When I was older, I dug it out and found out that when you press up on the d pad he puts up his cape as a shield. Had I known this when I was a kid it would have saved me some headaches. I don't know how I missed that because I would usually mess around with the controller to see what I could do but somehow I managed to miss that.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 18th, 2016, 3:20 am

My favourite fighter on the Spectrum was Renegade, never beat the game as a kid but could get to the last level. Revisiting it as a adult I never realised you could throw your enemies, this slight variation in tactics meant I can now beat the game.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 29th, 2016, 8:14 pm

Up until a few years ago, I never realized in Super Mario Bros. 3, you could determine which way a mushroom would go by which half of the block you hit (For those who might not know, if you hit the left half of a block, the mushroom would go right and vice versa). I used to just think the movement of the mushroom was random.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 29th, 2016, 10:21 pm

I never knew about Kill Screen in the arcade Pac Man.

I even read those pattern memorizing books, but I don't recall ever hearing about it. Of course, those books were written in a hurry to cash in, and I happily bought them. I don't know when the kill screen was first discovered. It may have been a few years as I read that Ms Pac Man has similar issues. I don't know when I heard about it, and I worked in an arcade.

There have been rumors of a secret way to move past the Pac Man kill screen (without using the rack test switch on some machines), but it remains just a rumor.

Is it sad or fitting that these famous video games end in glitchy screens?

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » August 29th, 2016, 11:30 pm

I played Sonic 1 all the time as a little kid, but I had no clue about the debug mode until years later. Do any other games other than Sonic even let you access a debug mode through a cheat code and without hacking?

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 1st, 2016, 2:19 pm

What a great topic!

There were a few stories not too long ago about easter eggs still being uncovered in 20+ year old games, which got me thinking... how neat would it be if some old game, like say a flight sim, turned out to be something else entirely and we never knew it. For example, it turned out that if you could land a certain plane inside a certain building (without crashing) then somehow that would open up the true game hidden underneath the packaging complete with a full story, quest and characters.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 1st, 2016, 7:38 pm

Mega man 2 has a lot of these cool "zips" you can do where you skip portions of the levels by seas hung mega man against certain ceilings. Pretty cool when you get one.

Return to “Classic Gaming”