My daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Shapur

Re: My daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek

Postby Shapur » August 3rd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Voor wrote:Good timing. We finish III (return of Spock) and IV (voyage home) this weekend. I had a hard time getting into return of Spock, but I enjoyed voyage home quite a bit. That said, it's definitely the funny/goofy one of the series, and I wouldn't want another one like that.

The more I watch, the appreciate the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship and it makes you feel that no obstacle is too large when you have such a loyal team with you.

We are having a great time with these movies.

So did you continue watching them? Five has always been a bit of a black sheep, so Im curious if it scared you off.

I recently got my wife to watch some Star Trek for the first time. She had never seen one episode or movie before. I got her to sit through a couple of TOS episodes which admittedly barely held her interest, but the I skipped to Star Trek II and she was actually asking me when we could finish watching the rest of them. Went through 3,which I still think isn't very good, but she liked it. Then the Voyage Home which was a childhood favorite of mine, and she quite liked it as well, despite what I feel was a less than stellar subtitled translation.

scotland

Happy 50th Birthday to Star Trek

Postby scotland » September 8th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Stardate September 8th, 1966 by the old Earth calendar, the episode "The Man Trap" aired, with the shape shifting salt monster, and the first red shirt deaths to kick off the 5 year mission of the USS Enterprise, NCC 1701.

So, watch some Star Trek, tell someone Live Long and Proper, or add some extra salt to your food tonight.

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » September 8th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Ha! I might just do that. Thanks Scotland!

BTW, would you mind not changing the thread title when you reply to a thread? So often I see a thread title in the preview box, but when I go to the Forum that thread isn't there. Then I discover that it was a different thread that you replied to, but changed the title.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 8th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Surprised I missed this thread the first time around. I remember watching the original Star Trek as a kid with my mom many moons ago. Star Trek TNG was not very good the first 2 seasons, but seasons 3-7 were really great (and surprisingly deep at times), and I've seen every episode multiple times.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine comes across as the black sheep of the family, but my wife and I really enjoyed the show, and very, very seldom was there a bad episode. And just last week my wife and I started watching Star Trek Voyager on Netflix. Good stuff.

Star Trek Enterpise, ugh. What a terrible show. The first two episodes were great, and then it went downhill fast. Really really fast.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 8th, 2016, 2:05 pm

LuckyMan wrote: BTW, would you mind not changing the thread title when you reply to a thread? So often I see a thread title in the preview box, but when I go to the Forum that thread isn't there. Then I discover that it was a different thread that you replied to, but changed the title.

Its tricky. I posted a 'happy birthday star trek' here, where the topic was 'my daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek'. Seems the options were: 1) Start a new thread with the appropriate title, 2) post in this related thread and ignore that the title and the subject line are not the same anymore or 3) Post in this related thread, but change the subject line to match the content. I chose door #3. I always choose door #3.

One thought in email etiquette is to do #3 in email chains. For instance, it would have kept a hashtag, like #StarTrek, but dropped 'my daughter and I' to be "happy birthday".

In any case, the subject line is back to 'my daughter and I have gotten into Star Trek', so whatever I chose except starting a new thread lasted only as long as my single post.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 8th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I discovered Star Trek relatively late dismissing it for hardcore nerds. But once I watched Wrath of Khan I was hooked and went through a buying spree of all the TV series. Haven't watched them in a while.

I've got all DS9 and Voyager on VHS in my loft, they've been sat there 12 years ! The original is my fave, but once DS9 picked up pace I really thought it outshone TNG. Voyager was very erratic either enthralling or rehashing.

Watch about 5 episodes of Enterprise and gave up. Should have been great but they somehow got it very wrong.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 8th, 2016, 3:38 pm

Watching METV right now, The Rifleman is on. Great channel they just advertised the have a special Sci-Fi Saturday dedicated to Star Trek's 50th. Enjoy Trekkies!

scotland

Postby scotland » September 8th, 2016, 4:36 pm

For fun, I give you some 1970s Star Trek toys:

http://www.plaidstallions.com/startrektoys.html

Our friend Sut knows Dinky, but most Americans probably don't. I had a local toy store that imported European toys (like Smurfs, and Britains soldiers) and I got a number of Dinky and Corgi items in my youth. I never got the Dinky USS Enterprise, but I really loved the advertisement in their catalog and elsewhere.

Today's toy market can be like the video game market, with the focus on graphics and realism. Toys then were far less realistic, but often far more durable and made to be played with, not as a decoration. The best Trek toys were the ones we made ourselves, whether it was a homemade electronic noise maker (made out of a baking soda can with Radio Shack parts) that sounded like a Tricorder, to home made communicators and such.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 9th, 2016, 8:41 pm

I was aware of Star Trek throughout my life, even watching The Next Generation occasionally when it originally aired on television. And yet somehow it didn't really grab hold of me until I started watching again well into my thirties. I just remember this feeling like - How have I been missing out on this? For me, it's really about The Next Generation. That's the show and the crew and the stories I suppose I've bonded with.

Voyager was decent and good fun at times but I just haven't been able to connect with any of the others. I can certainly appreciate why The Original Series was and is so well loved, but it's not for me (although the Star Trek Continues fan reboot has been some great old-timey "television" lately). It would have been interesting to see, in an alternate timeline, how The Original Series might have gone if they'd stuck with the cast and characters from the Pilot (probably also my favorite episode).

Have seen all of the motion pictures with the exception of the most recent film and my feeling is to sort of pretend that they don't exist. Well, actually I'm fond of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) as it's such an inspiring and thought-provoking story that lives well on its own even if the show never existed.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 11th, 2016, 1:32 am

The Man Trap is one of the best episodes. Probably in top 10, maybe top 15 of all the original episodes

Return to “Other Media”