What do you want to see in the NX

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
SegaRiddle1990

Re: What do you want to see in the NX

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » September 4th, 2016, 9:53 am

I can't say whether it'll be great or mediocre or anything, but I am looking forward to it all the same. If the system's going to be using cartridges, then I predict the so-called "cartridges" might be more like the SD cards used in DS and 3DS games, but that's just my prediction. As for games, I'm personally crossing my fingers for the next Animal Crossing game, and I would love to see Nintendo bring some of their sports games back, like their old Ken Griffey jr and Kobe Bryant games on SNES and N64. The Mario ones are great and all, but I'd just like to see some old-school Nintendo Sports games along with them too.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 4th, 2016, 3:07 pm

If it uses cartridges I'd assume they're a tad larger than 3DS games. They won't want them fitting in DS and 3DS systems. And since flash memory is so damned cheap to produce, it's going to be quite AWESOME to see if they can fit 40gb+ games onto disks. Since it'd basically be an SSD used for games, the load times would be almost non-existent.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 4th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Agreed. My brother was just telling me how much quieter his new Xbox one slim is, and it reminded me how shocked i am that everyone put up with the noise associated with new console's disc drives. And memory cards...what a pain! I welcome cartridges.

I wonder if the NES mini is some sort of cheap test to see how well "old school" games fare with the younger generations. Could influence the direction of NX games.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 4th, 2016, 6:12 pm

SegaRiddle1990 wrote:... I predict the so-called "cartridges" might be more like the SD cards used in DS and 3DS games,

The Nintendo DS and 3DS use real cartridges. Flash ROM is considered a type of ROM. Its non-volatile, and is a type of EEPROM. The 3DS cartridge may be slim and sleek, more like the old Hu Card than a fat old N64 cartridge, but its a cartridge.

Even if you don't accept Flash is ROM, what is in the DS and 3DS is a good old fashioned ROM chip, not flash memory. Its a Macronix ROM chip. I think they get as big as 8 GB in the 3DS. One article had a rumor where Macronix was going to make 32 gigabyte ROM (not Flash) chips. The only flash memory is the part that saves users stats and game states. Here is a photo of a modern 3DS chip.

The big thing is the ROM chip, with the Macronix logo on it, while the tiny one is the Flash ROM memory.

As for patches, there might be some forms of EEPROM that can handle a patch without it being Flash ROM.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Here's an interesting article and comments about the use of cartridges in the NX.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/m ... =1&start=0

What I find most interesting are the comments. One person said "what about patches and DLC" as if that's a GOOD thing! Fortunately there were a few rebuttles to set this guy straight.

I really don't like it when people use "nostalgia" as a reason to support cartridges. Sure it's a factor, but it's like making a religious argument. There are plenty more practical reasons you could use instead.

I'm starting to get pumped about the NX!

DLC can be great if it adds worthwhile content to the game and the developers actually support it long after the games release. As for patches, would you honestly rather a broken game be broken forever? Or would you rather a patch be released that fixes a lot of the bugs (though it could and should be argued that developers shouldn't release broken, unpolished games to begin with) and problems?

I think cartridges would be nice, though. Much more durable than CDs, and cartridge save means you don't have to worry about using too much space.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 8th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Just wanted to chime in supporting Logan's statements. Older cartridge titles that released broken were broken forever, regardless of what merits they had. 1st party games (such as Ocarina of Time) could usually afford to release updated cartridge runs, but do you really want to have to buy the whole game again just to get the superior version? I sure don't have that kind of money.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 8th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Are we just assuming that ROM carts and patches are mutually exclusive. EEPROM can be rewriteable, so isn't it possible the NX would have a bit-wise erasable programmatically eraseable and rewriteable EEPROM chip? Macronix makes EEPROM chips, although I don't know about how the data is rewritten in the NX itself. It could even be good old Flash memory.

Another thought is that a middle man, like Gamestop, would pop open the cartridge, rewrite the updated code while you shopped for bobble heads and stuff. That strengthen's Gamestop's relationship with Nintendo, while managing the risk of a cartridge game being buggy for end users and Nintendo.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 8th, 2016, 7:13 pm

A lot of people seem to forget that playtesting games prior to release, though extremely important, isn't going to get rid of every single glitch. Occasionally, even companies like Nintendo (who are known for their polish) will release a game followed by some player discovering a glitch bad enough to warrant a patch. It happens. Also, as games grow more sophisticated and more technologically demanding, the harder it becomes to iron out all the glitches. Playtesting a game like Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis is a whole different ballpark from playtesting a game as huge as Grand Theft Auto V for multiple systems. It's not impossible, but releasing a completely perfectly polished game without patching it even once is a tall order in this day and age. I understand that some companies (*cough*Bethesda*cough*) abuse patches to make post-release players glorified playtesters, but I don't see why the more honest publishers should be punished for that.

Return to “Modern Gaming”