AMC Fearfest

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

AMC Fearfest

Postby matmico399 » October 2nd, 2016, 9:23 pm

October is my fave month of the year, followed by December, then November. These three months are amazing to me. Great weather, football, gorgeous leaves and Halloween. Who here is a fan of Fearfest on Amc? I watch as much as I can leading up to Halloween. Whether it's a classic or some cheesy Friday The 13th movie I can always flip to that channel and find something redeeming in every one that makes me enjoy the season. The best horror flicks I have on DVD, but something about watching it with the commercials to see what will be on in the next few days makes it exciting to me. What do you all think?

Tron

Re: AMC Fearfest

Postby Tron » October 3rd, 2016, 11:21 pm

No way man! Commercials are more annoying then my kids and my kids are pretty dang annoying. I got used to the dvr real quick. Now that we cancelled it to save $$$ I can't stand watching tv. The mute button helps, but still ill take dvd or bluray, VhS can be allright too. Plus they edit the movies and take out the best parts. No thanks.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 4th, 2016, 11:25 am

It's fun and nostalgic to go back through old VHS tapes and see forgotten commercials (especially Halloween or Christmas-themed commercials that you haven't seen in 20-25 years) but I don't want to break up the flow of a movie to do so - there goes your tension and atmosphere! Luckily, you can go on Youtube and watch older commercials whenever the mood strikes you. I'm also going to assume that AMC edits out nudity and explicit gore, right? That's the only thing some of these trashy slasher movies have going for them!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 4th, 2016, 11:27 am

For some reason I'm drawn to the Friday the 13 and Halloween movies, while not liking horror movies in general. The Friday the 13th and Halloween movies may gives me nightmares, but I continue to watch. I can definitely understand not wanting to sit through the commercials, but watching it on tv can be exciting for two reasons:

A: being surprised when you see it on tv
2: to me, watching it on tv just gives it a little more of a nicer feel to it, or makes it have a more seasonal feel, call me crazy.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 4th, 2016, 11:47 am

CharlieR wrote:For some reason I'm drawn to the Friday the 13 and Halloween movies, while not liking horror movies in general.

Well, that pretty much describes most of FearFest - mostly slasher picks, especially those two franchises, or the modern descendants like Saw. Slashers tend to be way too formulaic to begin with, coupled with the commercials and the editing for television audiences. Once apon a time, AMC did Fearfest with more variety and zing, including one year being hosted by Linda Blair, with submitted amateur horror featurettes. My memory suggests its been a by the numbers horror programming piece for many years. They just got really lucky with the first season of Walking Dead (which is getting pretty stale, to my tastes. Maybe its time to wrap it up in a final season and put it in the grave already)

I just watched Curse of the Cat People by Val Lewton, late 1940s ghost story. Like much Hay code fare, its more suspense and creepy atmosphere than shock, scares, and gore. Horror can run a wide spectrum. Nowadays, I find I am still a sucker for a good zombie movie. I can rewatch the original Night of the Living Dead or Carnival of Souls each year and enjoy it.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Ah, Carnival of Souls, classic.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 6:29 pm

I love watching these, and am excited that AMC is one of the few channels that comes in my cable package. The one I miss is MosterVision with Joe Bob Briggs. That was great, and loved his movie trivia. I also like "Up All Night" on USA.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 12th, 2016, 7:25 pm

It starts tomorrow!

http://youtu.be/ioE394-ppLE

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 13th, 2016, 6:28 am

Didnt it used to run all October? I remember it was tagged as 30 days of fear or something. Maybe I am thinking of another channel. Either way, I am excited. They did a nice Stephen King marathon the other day. I watched quite a bit of that.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 13th, 2016, 8:17 am

good day for it, dark and rainy here. 13th of October. I'll try to watch Halloween and not get scared.

I see they are showing the 2007 remake of Halloween tonight, how does it compare to the original?

Return to “Other Media”