Star Fox 64

The readers post their own reviews.
Retrology

Star Fox 64

Postby Retrology » April 30th, 2016, 3:21 pm

This is it. This is the game that is widely respected by classic and modern gamers alike, where the Star Fox formula was perfected but never equaled. Star Fox 64 is about as near perfect as a video game can get. It does everything right to present a frantic shooter with non stop arcade action while going beyond your garden variety shooter.

The action is scripted but it never feels like it, with numerous alternative routes, secrets, and branching paths scattered throughout the game, enhancing the replay value. The controls are fantastic and the shooting action is exciting and addictive without being repetitive or frustrating. Taking down multiple enemies simultaneously allows you to rack up extra points on kills, and bosses tend to give you high scores as well (the Macbeth boss giving you 50 points for example).

The game manages to run smoothly and it's always clear of what's going on. Even the free movement sections are fun because of the charge and lock on controls. You'll rack up powerups such as bombs, rings to increase your health or add lives, upgrade your laser, and even repair your wings. Enemy shields are analyzed before bosses, and advice is frequently given so you'll rarely forget what to do. Memorable audio delivers a fine soundtrack and quotable (so-bad-they're-good) lines from the voices, impressive for an N64 title

Star Fox 64 actually feels more fun today than it was in 1997. The game is polish and very well designed (the training mode is a separate feature outside the main game, and it never feels discouraging. I can't think of any flaws worth mentioning. Bottom-line, few shooters, and games for that matter, are as purely fun as this, and you owe it to yourself to play this masterpiece.

Final Grade: A+

Rookie1

Re: Star Fox 64

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 6:06 pm

I recently started replaying this and collecting all the medals. It has held up surprisingly well. In fact, both this one and the SNES one have held up. I really enjoy playing both of them.

LoganRuckman

Re: Star Fox 64

Postby LoganRuckman » October 10th, 2016, 10:58 pm

Yeah, the fact that the original is amazing in its own right and is still blown away by the sequel is a testament to the quality of Star Fox 64. I don't think I've ever played a finer rail shooter, even in arcades. Great review. Totally agree with the A+.

Return to “Reader Reviews”