Top 5 Genesis Games

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Top 5 Genesis Games

Postby Retrology » October 17th, 2016, 10:23 am

I started a top 10 Genesis games list a while back, but felt 10 was a bit too much. Top 5 makes it even tougher to decide on an amazing console. So, which 5 Genesis games are your favorites?

5. Gunstar Heroes: The most insane Genesis shooter of all time, and the most addictive one too. Love combining powerups as well as changing the range.

4. Road Rash: Has aged incredibly. Trying to stay on the road and hitting enemies with weapons is loads of fun.

3. Streets of Rage 2: The best beat 'em-up of all time. Finely tuned and perfected fighting and difficulty level.

2. Ristar: Sega squeezed so many tricks into this late great, and it shows. Unbelievable graphics, great music, great secrets, great design, and one of the most original and rewarding styles of gameplay in a video game ever. Loads of fun.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles: The complete package. Loads of replay value, alternate routes, secrets, plenty of surprises, fantastic graphics/music. The best Genesis game of all time.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Retrology on October 21st, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainCruch

Re: Top 5 Genesis Games

Postby CaptainCruch » October 17th, 2016, 1:45 pm

Okay,

1. Streets of Rage 2
2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
3. Rocket Knight Adventures
4. Sonic 2
5. Earthworm Jim

I really enjoy platform games but, strangely, Ristar is one of my least favorites...

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 17th, 2016, 2:44 pm

I'm interested to see what people say. I think unlike the SNES, after maybe one or two games MOST people tend to list pretty drastically different lists for the Genesis. Where as with a "SNES Top Whatever List" you're bound to always see Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country etc... they're all widely accepted as the best games for the platform. The Genesis isn't so easy to pin down.

I personally don't have a single Sonic The Hedgehog game in my top five. The games are great, but I've never seen why they need to be listed as the best thing ever on the system. When I'm itching to play my Genesis I hardly ever fire up one of the Sonic titles.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 17th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Tough call.

1). Streets of Rage 2
Best scrolling beat 'em up on the system, probably ever.

2). Sonic 3 & Knuckles
For me ticks all the boxes, well presented, lastability and replay-ability.

3). Street Fighter 2
I know SNES fans tend to 'own' SF2 but for me I slightly preferred the Sega version and the Sega 6 button pad is awesome.

4). Revenge of Shinobi
I couldn't decide between this and Shinobi 3 they are both awesome. Gave this the slight edge as it was so early.

5). Virtua Racing
In retrospect it's dated poorly especially with the brilliant 32x upgrade. But once you adjust to the framerate again and stick with it - this still plays perfectly.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 17th, 2016, 5:04 pm

I think I like different games than most Genesis gamers. I've never been a big fan of "cartoon" like games on the Genesis. Though there are a few exceptions. I prefer those type games on the Nes or Snes.

It would take me forever to try to say the absolute best, but I will mention 5 I have always had the most fun with......in no particular order.

-Pirates Gold!
-Streets of Rage 2
-Robocop Vs Terminator
-General Chaos
-Sonic 2

scotland

Postby scotland » October 17th, 2016, 5:27 pm

matmico399 wrote: Pirates Gold!

This is a strangely enjoyable game. Now where did I put my puffy shirt...

Rev

Postby Rev » October 17th, 2016, 8:26 pm

I can't do top 5's so here is my top 10... In no particular order. I think all of these games are classics and could be number 1 depending on how you are feeling for the day.

Castle of Illusion
Crusader of Centy
Shining Force 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
MUSHA
Phantasy Star IV
Shinobi III
Rocket Knight Adventures
Streets of Rage 2
Strider

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 18th, 2016, 12:08 am

scotland wrote:
matmico399 wrote: Pirates Gold!

This is a strangely enjoyable game. Now where did I put my puffy shirt...

It is so enjoyable. So great. So much replay value.

My list is severely sports-oriented. Except the #1 spot:

5. NBA Live 95
4. La Russa Baseball 95
3. PGA Tour Golf 3
2. NHL 97
1. Pirates! Gold

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 18th, 2016, 2:33 am

1. Streets of Rage 2
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
3. Castlevania: Bloodlines
4. Golden Axe 2
5. Landstalker

Runners-up:
6. Gunstar Heroes (despite never buying or even renting it as a kid - the fugly box-art kept me away!)
7. NHL 93
8. NBA Jam
9. Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (would be higher, but I was terrible at fighting games as a kid)
10. Lion King, The

scotland

Postby scotland » October 18th, 2016, 6:48 am

velcrozombie wrote:10. The Lion King

Was just playing this over the weekend with a child. For younger or inexperienced gamers, this game is gold.

Its a shame there is not a Sega CD version (that I know about) as the attempts at voice clips on the Genesis were horrible, but the gameplay is fun.

Return to “Video Games General”