Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Re: Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby CharlieR » October 31st, 2016, 10:51 am

I don't care about story in any video game.

Any game where a strategy guide is needed to figure out how to play it sucks. Give me a game, not a homework assignment.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 31st, 2016, 11:13 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:- Mario 64 is pretty average

- Super Mario Bros 2 is my favorite in the Mario series

- Racing Games and FPS could disappear forever and I wouldn't be the slightest bit sad about it

- The Wii U will be looked upon rather favorably several years from now. It will be like the Dreamcast...beloved by true gamers.

I agree with all of this.

M64 never did anything for me.

SMB2 is my favorite of the franchise as well.

FPS and racing stuff is wack.

I have contemplated so many times getting a WiiU, to the point where it was in my basket multiple times. I just cant pull the plug though. There are a handful of games on there I want to play, but just cant justify the $300 for it. Im really hoping they do a black friday $200 on it this year. I will take the plunge at that price.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 31st, 2016, 11:13 am

Fingers dripping ink wrote:I see no problem with playing ROMs if you can't afford an old game or want to try it out before buying (Sega CD, 3DO, Dreamcast Model 1 have no copy protection, game prices are skyrocketing).

However, I think selling repros is wrong because you're selling another's intellectual property.

I fully agree with this. I have a 3DO, and use a lot of ROMs for that thing. Granted, I have purchased a lot of original copies of some of the better games, the majority of what I want to check out isnt worth the money. Cool stuff, but more of a collectors item as most of the games are just terrible.

JustLikeHeaven wrote:- Mario 64 is pretty average

- Super Mario Bros 2 is my favorite in the Mario series

- Racing Games and FPS could disappear forever and I wouldn't be the slightest bit sad about it

- The Wii U will be looked upon rather favorably several years from now. It will be like the Dreamcast...beloved by true gamers.

I agree with all of this.

M64 never did anything for me.

SMB2 is my favorite of the franchise as well.

FPS and racing stuff is wack.

I have contemplated so many times getting a WiiU, to the point where it was in my basket multiple times. I just cant pull the plug though. There are a handful of games on there I want to play, but just cant justify the $300 for it. Im really hoping they do a black friday $200 on it this year. I will take the plunge at that price.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Resident Evil 4 is unplayable garbage.

You played it for 10 minutes. Not saying you would have liked it more if you played longer, but that's not enough time to know one way or another.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 31st, 2016, 1:34 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:Resident Evil 4 is unplayable garbage.

You played it for 10 minutes. Not saying you would have liked it more if you played longer, but that's not enough time to know one way or another.

Thats all I needed. If the first 10 minutes were bad enough for me to be done with it, no need to endure the rest.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 31st, 2016, 1:54 pm

Fingers dripping ink wrote:Dark Souls had crap controls and bored the shit out of me.

XIII was criminally underrated with a great local four-player multiplayer mode.

As a fan of B- and C-grade movies, Sega CD FMV games are good fun.

I see no problem with playing ROMs if you can't afford an old game or want to try it out before buying (Sega CD, 3DO, Dreamcast Model 1 have no copy protection, game prices are skyrocketing).

However, I think selling repros is wrong because you're selling another's intellectual property.

Wii U was my favorite console this generation.

The Wii had a bunch of great games.

Super Mario Sunshine was a great game.

XIII! I thought I was the only guy that ever even played it. So stylish, so much fun to play, and smooth action. What the hell more could you want from a game?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 31st, 2016, 2:01 pm

I've been very vocal over the years about my annoyance at "the two sacred cows of gaming", i.e.:

-Over the past 20 years, Super Mario and Legend of Zelda are the two most overrated series in all of gaming.

Super Mario World is one of the best games ever made, but any Super Mario game released after that is average at best (including the Galaxy games) or below average at worst (i.e., Super Mario Sunshine and the New Super Mario Bros. games). I just don't find them very fun at all. The Zelda games aren't bad, just way overrated, especially the 3D Zeldas.

I think these franchises have been given a free pass for two decades, getting by with throwing in a new gimmick here and there, while every other franchise gets blasted if it "fails to evolve". Part of it is the rampant Nintendo fanboyish that still exists, somehow still held over from the NES and SNES glory days (why can't poor Sonic get this benefit??). And part of it is critics are too hesitant to do their jobs and criticize the games, out of fear of losing credibility if they don't like a Mario or Zelda game. Like, "well clearly you're too dumb to appreciate Zelda games, so what are you even doing this job for?" Zelda fans are crazy like that. So the games get all 90+ reviews and tons of crazy fans continue to act like they're the greatest games ever, and then even the rational gamers join in (compelled by herd mentality). It's an endless cycle.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » October 31st, 2016, 2:02 pm

I'm going to take some heat for my list:

1). I find most diehard Nintendo fans to be annoying with their nonstop rationalizing of every dopey Nintendo blunder.

2). I am convinced that the DS is the best system, game for game, that Nintendo has ever released. This, however, is coming from a retro enthusiast.

3). Shenmue was Sega's masterpiece.

4). This goes along with #1. I roll my eyes at the notion that Nintendo is the only company pushing innovation. If anything, I've always seen Sega, during their hardware years, as the more innovative, forward-thinking company, which partially explains why they are no longer in the ring. Nintendo, by comparison, always seemed more conservative.

5). Final Fantasy VI is the absolute best game in the entire series.

6). Metroid Prime was easily the best game in the entire series because it absolutely defied everybody's expectations!

7). Virtual Console is one of Nintendo's biggest missed opportunities.

8). Sony isn't given enough credit for emphasizing the importance of third-party software.

9). The Atari Lynx was an amazing handheld that deserved the support that it never got.

10). The Nintendo Gamecube was the third best console that Nintendo ever designed, behind the NES and SNES. I've never understood why people disliked the system. I loved the look, those discs, and also the controller itself, which fit my hand perfectly!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » October 31st, 2016, 2:15 pm

- The original Wii is also an excellent console for non-casual gamers.
- the original Tomb Raider (1996) was unplayable.
- Pit-Fighter (Sega Genesis) is a fun game.
- Star Fox 64 isn't horrible, but it also isn't more than average.
- All racing games released after Daytona USA sucked and are too hard (but that's maybe because I don't enjoy racing games)
- Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney on 3DS was horrible, with never-ending and uninteresting trials and text dialogues
...and some more I forgot.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 1st, 2016, 6:36 am

Retro STrife wrote:I've been very vocal over the years about my annoyance at "the two sacred cows of gaming", i.e.:

-Over the past 20 years, Super Mario and Legend of Zelda are the two most overrated series in all of gaming.

I will agree with this. I never really liked anything after SMW, and I didnt really like SMW all that much. For Zelda, I wasnt a fan of much after the N64 era. Twilight Princes I though was good, but it just went on forever and felt very monotonous after a while. Skyward Sword was just horrible. Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass I felt were silly cashins. Windwaker was a solid game though.

BanjoPickles wrote:I'm going to take some heat for my list:

1). I find most diehard Nintendo fans to be annoying with their nonstop rationalizing of every dopey Nintendo blunder.

7). Virtual Console is one of Nintendo's biggest missed opportunities.

9). The Atari Lynx was an amazing handheld that deserved the support that it never got.

10). The Nintendo Gamecube was the third best console that Nintendo ever designed, behind the NES and SNES. I've never understood why people disliked the system. I loved the look, those discs, and also the controller itself, which fit my hand perfectly!

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

1. There are certain websites I cant even stand to be on anymore because of people like that.

2. VC was very much so. A for effort, D+ for execution.

3. I have ALWAYS felt this way. My dad got me a Gameboy when it first came out. Then he made me take it back the next day because he said he found something "better." I went with to TRU to take it back, and he got me the Lynx and let me pick out 3 games. I got Rygar, California Games, and Roadblaster. Wish I still had them.

4. GC is an amazing system only limited by Nintendo's mini disc blunder. Had they used regular disc, it would have been a serious contender.

Return to “Video Games General”