Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Re: Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Postby CharlieR » November 11th, 2016, 4:03 pm

That sucks. They are already going for outrageous prices on ebay.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 11th, 2016, 4:39 pm

I stumbled on this video of building a Raspberry Pi emulator with full sized HDMI out within the body of an old NES cartridge. It was posted just yesterday as interest in this flashback device was peaking. It uses ROMS from the internet, so there is that, of course. The inventive little device demonstrates, as always, that necessity (or in this case, impulsive desire) is the mother of invention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjM-vaHJv_Y

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 11th, 2016, 5:15 pm

The Amazon page for this thing wound up crashing the minute it became available. It's insane how low in stock the NES Classic Edition is when it's clearly a highly sought after item.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Funny how the hottest "new" console is a repackaged 1984 system.

For many years I've gotten a lot of odd looks from people who wonder why anyone would actually want to play an old, obsolete video game systems. They just don't get it. It's not about the graphics.

But now it looks like we're in for a new wave of interest in retro gaming. The cool thing is, when a product like NES Classic makes a lot of money, the industry takes notice. And in this case it's a simple, old-school, off-line video game system - basically the OPPOSITE of what they've been pushing on us for the past 10 years!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 11th, 2016, 11:39 pm

snakeboy wrote:
Some company called EMiO is making an Advantage clone for the NES mini called the Edge:

https://www.amazon.com/EMiO-Edge-Joysti ... +joystick&

I might have to wait for a few reviews before I decide to buy it, but it looks interesting.

Just checked the early reviews of this, and apparently it doesn't work with the NES Classic mini - whoopsies!

Also just checked reviews of the Playing with Power guide I linked to earlier, and it looks like that one is pretty poor in quality as well.

It seems like there are some out there trying to capitalize on the popularity of the NES Classic with some cheapo products - hard to believe!

If anyone bought these as a result of my links, all I can say is: sorry!

Tron

Postby Tron » November 12th, 2016, 12:01 am

scotland wrote:I stumbled on this video of building a Raspberry Pi emulator with full sized HDMI out within the body of an old NES cartridge. It was posted just yesterday as interest in this flashback device was peaking. It uses ROMS from the internet, so there is that, of course. The inventive little device demonstrates, as always, that necessity (or in this case, impulsive desire) is the mother of invention.

Remember noah98? About a year and a half ago he sold me one of those things right here off of this site. I love it. I tried buying a second one from him, but he disappeared. It works great and has nearly every old game on it.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 12th, 2016, 9:09 am

Tron wrote:
scotland wrote:I stumbled on this video of building a Raspberry Pi emulator with full sized HDMI out within the body of an old NES cartridge. It was posted just yesterday as interest in this flashback device was peaking. It uses ROMS from the internet, so there is that, of course. The inventive little device demonstrates, as always, that necessity (or in this case, impulsive desire) is the mother of invention.

Remember noah98? About a year and a half ago he sold me one of those things right here off of this site. I love it. I tried buying a second one from him, but he disappeared. It works great and has nearly every old game on it.

I know its frowned upon in the general community, but I bought my GF a Wii from a local thrift store for $4.99. It took me 5 minutes to put the homebrew channel on there and load it with roms. Works like a champ.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 12th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Honestly... Instead of dealing with trying to find one of these things I agree with Rookie1 that getting an original Wii soft-modded might be a good way to go. Then you don't have to stick with only 30 games but could have the entire NES library (plus many others). It's a pretty simple console to soft-mod.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 14th, 2016, 8:28 am

I think this is pretty much sold out everywhere. The interesting thing was that this never happened with those ATgames sega consoles, but there are a few differences. The sega consoles were not made by sega, and there was less marketing.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 14th, 2016, 8:43 am

CharlieR wrote:I think this is pretty much sold out everywhere. The interesting thing was that this never happened with those ATgames sega consoles, but there are a few differences. The sega consoles were not made by sega, and there was less marketing.

I agree, but has there been much marketing? It seems like more hype from within the community with articles and discussion and breakdowns than marketing by Nintendo. Has anyone seen a commercial for this? Or even a pop-up ad?

There is also the presumed difference in quality of experience, build quality, the HDMI output, that this is the first of its kind where the At Games are coming out each year, and yes, the Nintendo name means a lot for the Nintendo faithful.

Return to “Video Games General”