10/23/2006: PSP: Death Jr., Infected, Ridge Racer

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 23rd, 2006, 4:44 pm

Okay, I was a bit wishy-washy on the Ridge Racer review, but in general I think this set is pretty good.  You tell me.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 23rd, 2006, 4:52 pm

I think the reviews are pretty good. Death Jr. 2 is supposed to be a lot better, I didn't play the first one and judging by your reivew I am not missing anything. I was on the fence about Infected but I am going to pick that one up now. People have told me that despite some mediocre reviews on the web there is an enjoyable action game here. So a "B" is average by your standards or slightly above standard? Either way I am picking it up. Personally, I thought Ridge Racer was an easy A. I loved the game but keep in mind I never played a RR game before so that may have something to do with it. Nice reads, looking forward to your other PSP reviews.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » October 24th, 2006, 3:53 am

So you loved RR6 on the 360 but not Ridge Racer on the PSP?  You realise they are the same game pretty much right?  Most of the things you have a go at RR on PSP are equally applicable to RR6.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » October 24th, 2006, 11:33 am

I don't have a PSP, but in general I don't like portable racing games...if any genre requires a "big screen" and tight controls (a steering wheel being best) it is racing games. All the racers I've played on handhelds were VERY boring compared to the "big" console versions. Too much detail and "extras" are usually lost in translating to handheld format.

Just my 1 cent....(down from two, I'm broke...(: )

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 24th, 2006, 1:11 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I don't have a PSP, but in general I don't like portable racing games...if any genre requires a "big screen" and tight controls (a steering wheel being best) it is racing games. All the racers I've played on handhelds were VERY boring compared to the "big" console versions. Too much detail and "extras" are usually lost in translating to handheld format.[/QUOTE]

I think I am just the opposite.  On at-home consoles I do play some simple games, but I usually keep consoles for deep storyline driven games.  Handhelds are a whole 'nother matter.  I think they are best for simple games that don't require you to invest huge amounts of time with no option to save often.

John-boy

Postby John-boy » October 24th, 2006, 2:11 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I don't have a PSP, but in general I don't like portable racing games...if any genre requires a "big screen" and tight controls (a steering wheel being best) it is racing games. All the racers I've played on handhelds were VERY boring compared to the "big" console versions. Too much detail and "extras" are usually lost in translating to handheld format.

Just my 1 cent....(down from two, I'm broke...(: )[/QUOTE]

You haven't played Mario Kart DS then. The best version so far. Just superb.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » October 24th, 2006, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=John-boy][QUOTE=Alienblue]I don't have a PSP, but in general I don't like portable racing games...if any genre requires a "big screen" and tight controls (a steering wheel being best) it is racing games. All the racers I've played on handhelds were VERY boring compared to the "big" console versions. Too much detail and "extras" are usually lost in translating to handheld format.

Just my 1 cent....(down from two, I'm broke...(: )[/QUOTE]

You haven't played Mario Kart DS then. The best version so far. Just superb.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 24th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Mario Kart DS = any other Mario Kart Game. That isn't a bad thing but it is basically a port of every other Mario Kart Game made.

a1

Postby a1 » October 25th, 2006, 2:47 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Mario Kart DS = any other Mario Kart Game. That isn't a bad thing but it is basically a port of every other Mario Kart Game made.

[/QUOTE]

It's not exactly a port, but I get what you're saying. There are 16 new tracks, and plenty of modes and unlockables to keep you busy. The game took all of the best aspects of old Mario Kart games and improved on them. Stop trying to knock the DS Shawn.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » October 25th, 2006, 5:22 am

I've played MARIOKART; although I love racers for some reason I never liked funny-mascot KART racers (Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Ad Inf...). So I doubt the DS version would win me over. I do agree fast, quick to play games like old coin -ops (MS.Pac Man, Dig Dug), puzzlers(Brainage, Mario Vs DK, Tetris) and so forth are the best handheld games. It's just that, most guys prefer to watch football and stuff on the biggest screen they can get, that's how I feel about racers. It's hard to feel the speed on a tiny screen; give me TOCA3 or DT racer on a big
wide screen 48" monster ANYday!

Return to “Review Feedback”