Wii U Console Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Wii U Console Review

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 11th, 2016, 6:31 am

It is a console that gimic sunk it. I played it and LOVED it. Its major drawback was the controller. Unweildly but fun. It's hour of battery life sank the system along with the lack of any games. Yeah it has some amazing kiddie games but come on Nintendo you could not license some of the bigger titles. Ass Creed would have been great with the second screen to murder people in.

Here are the two other things the sunk the console in my opinion.

1. Laughable hard drive size. A mere 32 gig for a the main console? 8 gig 3 usable for the basic. If they had updgraded it over time I think sales might have picked up.

2. It is/was always too expensive. Come on Ninny bring out a budget one. That could still sell another 10 m.

Switch thoughts. It looks fantastic. Very stylish. If they get the price right I want one. Something I have not said about a nintendo since the mighty Cube.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 11th, 2016, 9:18 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:but come on Nintendo you could not license some of the bigger titles.

This is a good point. Remember when Sega used to licence Capcom titles and develop them themselves ? Capcom then tied up by Nintendo but gave Sega permission to develop their games: Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider, Forgotten Worlds, etc.

Could Nintendo have done more to perhaps port some big AAA third party games under licence ?

scotland

Postby scotland » November 11th, 2016, 10:16 am

Sut wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:but come on Nintendo you could not license some of the bigger titles.
Could Nintendo have done more to perhaps port some big AAA third party games under licence ?

I appreciate the creative lateral thinking, but that is not the issue. Nintendo has a wealth of IPs, and there are lots of non-Nintendo IPs (like movie licenses) that could be explored if they wanted to. They really don't want to. They don't want to be the Tiger Electronics of home video consoles.

They want to deliver their style of content, and are confident if they build it, people will come. That's okay in itself, but buying a Nintendo console means also means expecting a relative gaming drought. I say 'relative' because I know you can make a list of solid WiiU titles, but how many came in the last 2 years? A handful. The new Zelda title are just flowers on its grave, and that is not right. On top of that, some solid franchises like Star Fox got new games, but they got a lukewarm reception.

The issues are quality, quantity and content. Too few games, of those games too few are zingers, and Nintendo has made a decision (one I agree with) that they are not going to be able to compete head to head with deap pocketed mega corporations for sports titles and photorealistic online experiences.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 13th, 2016, 6:45 pm

I'm actually giving the Wii U some serious thought. I've always been one to only have 5-10 games per system, and I've only had Nintendo systems, so the small library doesn't bother me.

I'd buy it for the franchises and the virtual shop.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 13th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Typically the waning months of a console is the best time to buy because you can get some good deals. I would even consider picking up a backup Wii U if it was on clearance.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 14th, 2016, 7:02 am

No true exclusive Zelda game. What a shame!

Rev

Postby Rev » November 14th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Has anyone thought of trying to build a complete wii u game library? Might be as fun console to try and get a complete library for since it has do few games...

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 14th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Rev wrote:Has anyone thought of trying to build a complete wii u game library? Might be as fun console to try and get a complete library for since it has do few games...

I was just contemplating this after reading the system review. You can probably find a good number of the games brand new in the discount bin at Walmart!

Rev

Postby Rev » November 14th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Honestly most of the titles aren't worth much minus the Nintendo games. It would probably be one of the easiest console to nab a complete collection for. The hard part would be amiibos if you decided to get those as well.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 22nd, 2016, 9:06 pm

One thing I was hoping to see you mention in the review, because I never see or hear a peep about it ANYWHERE, EVER... is that the tablet controller had a resistive touchscreen instead of capacitative. This was a HUGE disappointment to me, even as a bit of a Nintendo fan boy, when I first opened the console on the night of its release. It seemed so cheap and imprecise, especially when we were all used to the glass screens our phones have. And there was no chance of a good accurate multi-touch, which would have made game play alot more fun and "Minority Report" - like, at least that was my hope at the time.

Having said that, I love the Wii U. I completely understand why it didn't work out for alot of people. But I loved the games, and the ability to have one of my kids finish their game while my wife and I watch something else. And I LOVE Mario Maker. That game alone has made the Wii U worth the price of admission. I love firing it up a couple times a week and seeing what new levels those annoying little Japanese child prodigies have created and uploaded to blow my mind yet again.

Return to “Review Feedback”